Loss of color but no wear on blue Model 37

jimmy

Okay, here's a new one on me.

I bought my S&W Model 37 brand-new about 20 years ago, and have taken good care of it, or so I thought. It's my usual carry gun, so the other day I removed the walnut service stocks (original to the gun), in order to check underneath for dust or lint. It was as clean as a whistle. However, I found that, everywhere that the stocks touched the aluminum alloy frame, the blue color of the frame was completely gone. IOW, the shape of the stocks is a natural aluminum "ghost" on an otherwise blue frame. Of course, when the stocks are put back, the gun looks fine again.

Now I'm curious about what affected the aluminum that way. Some chemical reaction between the anodizing and the walnut? Maybe the effect of gun oil that was left under the stocks? (But I use ordinary Hoppe's lubricating oil, which has never caused a problem--that I'm aware of.) The stocks fit snugly, so I don't believe they rubbed against the frame and caused the color to thin due to wear.

TIA for any info. :confused:

Is it COMPLETELY gone? If so, it may have not been there to start with. I've seen one aluminum handgun frame like yours. For some reason, when it was anodized, the factory held the frame with a grip shaped fixture for the coating process. This was a foriegn-made gun, and I've no idea WHY this was done.

I know of no process in which wood or oil could remove the finish.

I suggest contacting S&W. Make it clear that your're not trying to get a free refinish, you just want to know what happened.

Back