Lord help me, I've fallen for a Smith...

Pilate

Specifically, the 945 officer's size. I don't currently own a 1911 pattern gun, but man, how I've tried... I've tried Colt, Springfield, and Kimber, all officer size, all dogs. (Yes, I insist on the officer's.) Even with all the home smithing (polishing and whatnot) I dared to attempt myself, I couldn't get them to cycle more than a couple mags... The 945 strikes me as a different story. At $1300, I should think it would be... However, it's been hinted that it's not fully 1911 compatible... Truth? Will I be able to replace parts with famous-name aftermarket parts?

But... Wanting to keep away from SW politics, I'm open to suggestions on other maker's 1911 compacts. URL's would be particularly useful. Looking for same price, same size, same features, and most of all, RELIABILITY! I want a SIG 1911!

The S&W 945 is the 3rd generation of S&W single action autos. It started with the model 745 in the 80's, then the 845, and now the '1911' model of 945. 1911 parts are NOT compatible with the S&W's at all. There are no 'famous name' aftermarket parts for this gun. In truth, it is probably going down the same path as the others, into collecters oblivion.

Pilate; I feel your pain my friend. S&W makes a good product IMO. However, I recently tried to sell a S&W semi-auto and couldn't give it away because of the political climate. If you bought that Officer's 945 for $1300 you couldn't re-sell it for $500. There's a whole bunch of sweet pistol's on the market (especially in that price range). Pass it up. Just my thoughts, J. Parker

Oh, almost forgot, I'd give a right nard for one of those Wilson's KZ-45's. Ten plus one, Wilson quality, and $995.:)J. Parker

I have a (pre agreement) 945, full size.

I didn't know it was available in an officers size, although I've seen it in Commander size.

Mine is one fine shooter. Shoots as well as my Baer, and other tricked out 1911's I own. The bomar is probably not the best for CCW compared to Novaks or Heines. But it is really smooth and tight. Has a Briley spherical bushing in front that pivots with the barrel. I get a lot of comments on the "fishscale" pattern serrations. The 945 is only available through the Performance Center.

I shoot it in IDPA and it serves me well.

It is not a true 1911. Has a linkless barrel. Grip angle is slightly lower also (about 2 degrees). Actually they did use some 1911 parts - Wilson Ambi safety and Wilson beavertail. Not sure whose hammer they used, and the trigger sure looks like a Videcki. But it won't fit in a 1911 holster as the slide is wider. Trigger is as good as any 1911 I've felt.

Given the agreement and the fact that I won't buy Smith, I won't get another. But I'm on the lookout for a used one in the 4". I would use the 4" CCW in a minute after a sight change.

All of em are stainless. The black ones just have a finish on em. I'd add that the finish is pretty durable, as mine has a lot of holster time.

It is a truly unique piece that shoots really well.

Sorry to hear you've had such trouble with officers size guns. Many smiths say that the officers is the most dicey to get to run right. I have both full size and commander sized 1911's that never burp on whatever I feed them. (Only one is a Colt, and it's a gold cup). Never had any smith work done on em. Maybe I'm lucky. Some of the smiths out there probably do more harm than good. If you buy a good 1911 it will run right - don't get discouraged.

Well I take it back. Lots of Kimbers have tight chambers I hear. But if you buy a Baer or a Wilson it will run, believe me. Take a look at the Baer Stinger (I have one). Commander length slide on an officer's frame. Runs like a champ and you get the shorter grip for concealment.

I find that Commander sized guns just feel right. Yes the 5" is more accurate and has a longer sight radius, but from a defensive standpoint the commander length just drives better.

I've got a 945, full size, too, and love it. Right now it is the only 1911 style pistol you can buy in this beautiful state of Massachusetts.

I have no problem concealing the full size (winter carry).
I use an OWb holster and an untucked button down shirt.

Jim is correct, it has some parts compatibility with the 1911, but uses a linkless barrel. Won't fit in most 1911 holsters, but the Fobus is one exception (I have a Fobus paddle for 1911 and fits very good)

I am not sure it matters if all the parts are compatible, I mean what would you want to change? The 945 is already tricked out with pretty much everything.

Although personally I'd love to have mine converted to .40 Super When I get some dough. Don't know who would be capable of doing that work though.

ramble off...

TC

You might look for a used one. That way you can have your gun, S&W doesn't make a dime from the sale, and you can look at yourself in the mirror.

Used is the only way I would consider buying a Smith at this time.

It would be easy to stay away from Smiths if we didn't like their guns. However gun owners need to make the hard decisions that S&W was unwilling make.

I had a S&W 745 and i guess that is about what it turned out to be, a collectors gun. But I shot the heck out of it in IPSC competion. For the a Colt Style Officers Model look at a Llama Mini max. A good heavy gun with varing quality. I have a 10 round made in 1998 that needed work and I have 1 9MM that is came clean as a whistle. I have 2 others on a subcompact frame, 10 rounds and they came out of the box cleaner and needed less wrk than any Colt or S&W I have even owned. They are affordable as well and make great carry guns. I have a buddy that sells them if you want more info or pic's

Karsten

My mistake! It is Commander size...

It's got a 3.75 inch barrel. Not being a 1911 expert, bear with me: the Officer is 3", Commander 4", and Gov't model is 5"? I guess that would make it most akin to the Commander. After looking for a while at it, it begins to look more and more like a Smith, and less like a 1911. It's got all the bells and whistles I'll ever need (I've said that before): front and rear checkering, the "fish scale" front and rear slide serrations, SUPER trigger, Novak three-dots, hex grip screws... Lots of fun stuff. And it's a nearly perfect size and weight for me, although I have thin hands, so a flush fit mag would be nice... Ok, so you've noticed how well I've described it... I guess I need to change the title to "Lord help me, I've bought a Smith..." When I began pricing custom pieces with similar features, I was looking at over $2000 and usually higher. The Kimber Customs were more reasonable, but having had a bad experience with one already, I couldn't do it. I really liked this particular 945 model, and I don't see them around much, so I got it while I could. And hey, at least I own one American made gun now. (Oh yeah, there's the Seecamp... 2!)

Pilate, congratulations on your purchase. I have owned the Commander size 945 for over a year and it is a really great gun. Sure, it isn't a 'real' 1911 but it is incredibly accurate, totally reliable and great looking. The only things I plan to change are the sights (don't like Novak 3-dot systems) and the thumb safety (too narrow). Good IDPA gun and I carry it periodically also.

I also own two Les Baers and an SV Infinity Compact. The 945 is every bit as well built and accurate.

Here's a question for other 945 Commander owners. Which recoil springs do you use? Brownells doesn't list the 945 specifically and I'm guessing it shares these with another model.

An Officer size has a 3.5" barrel but a shorter frame. A
true Commander should have 4.25" barrels but some of the equivalents from Springfield and Kimber have 4" barrels and all have full size frames. What I mean by full size frame is that your pinky won't be hanging off the bottom of the grip like the Officer's size or smaller.

If I remember correctly, the smallest 945 S&W made was equivalent to the Commander size. In the same price range($1300), you have quite a few options for a Commander sized 1911. You could get a Gunsite GSP in that size for close to the same price. If you get one of the older ones that are not built on Caspian frames for just under $1000. For the remaining $300, you could probably have them fit a match barrel and have the thing shoot better than most of us can match.

You could look at a Rock River Arms Commando Elite, but you'll probably wait a full year.

You could try to find a Les Baer Concept VII, probably for around $1400 or so.

Basically, you could get one of the semi-custom jobs and do just as well and still have better resale value unless S&W recant their traitorous stand.

Good luck on your search.

Mute, there are 3 models of 945. The smallest was their 'Compact' which is equivalent to the Officer size. Then there are the Commander and full size guns. I prefer the Commander which is the one I have. The Les Baer Concept VII is an excellent choice - I have one of those too - and would be my choice if this was my first 'high-end' Commander.

Thanks for refraining gents. I thought I'd get burned for sure. You're right about the Baers, look like nice pistols. I'll have to see if I can fit it in the budget down the road... jfrancis, I'd like to hear more about that SVI too. Is it a current model? I just looked at the site, and now my floor is wet. That "Gun Builder" section is dangerous. I'd end up having to sell my car...

S&W 945

I have never owned a Smith & Wesson AUTO but, if I desided I wanted one, it would be mine. Smith & Wesson has a new CEO but, don't know what he has in mind/maybe the makers of "RAVEN" will buy them.

I can shoot a 1911 style gun but, it takes more concentration to get what I can get out of a Glock 21," on the fly".

Find someone who will let you shoot a Glock 21 and try it.

Pilate, I purchased the SV Infinity Compact used a few weeks ago. It is basically a Commander length slide on a hi-cap Officer size frame. It is chambered in .40 cal and will hold 12 rounds (I think the mags are meant to be 10-rounders but they hold 11). There is a picture of it on the SVI web site so I think it is still current. It is currently at my gunsmith having the Infinity fiber optic front sight fitted and the trigger pull lightened (4-5 lb triggers feel heavy to me now).

Madison,

I like Glocks. In fact, I let a 36 go against the 945. I liked it alot, but the 945 filled the niche. I had a 30 a couple years ago, but it was stolen. And I still have a 26 which is a keeper. I wanted specifically a 1911 style, SA with a thumb safety. This was close enough, and has everything I would have wanted on the 1911. The grip got to me the most, it's so brutally rough, it's painful. I love it! I don't know how much I'll carry it for defensive purposes, the 26 and a Sig 232 get those honors. By the way, it's odd addressing you as "Madison" because it is my ex-girlfriend's name... Can't help the association. Good girl, now pro-gun! She tells me that she fired a full-auto Uzi recently!

jfrancis,

Thanks again for that info. I have a picture that I saved from SV's site from a couple years ago of a gun that was my dream 1911, but unfortunately, it's no longer featured. I imagine that they would still build it, but you know... budget... Also, I think it's a good idea, but those full length dust covers look odd to me.

All,

If you're interested, I will post a range report here after taking it out this weekend.

Well, it went ok... But here's some good advice: Use quality ammo. A guy at the dealer sold me on some cheapo ammo that comes 100 to a bag. I specifically asked him "is it clean?" He claimed that it was. Well, it WASN'T! After 20 rounds of 230 GoldDots, I think I got 60 rounds of this crap through it, and had a hangup. Tapped the rear of the slide, and was able to continue. About 10 more, and it happened again, but wasn't so easy to clear this time, but eventually was able to continue. At the 80 round point, the slide just froze. Couldn't even get it all the way back to lock the action open to carry it off the range. When I got it home and disassembled it, it was like someone had poured sand in it. That combined with an extremely tight action (slide to frame is impeccable) caused the gun to sieze. After a good bath, it's like new, but makes me hesitant to carry it for defense. Aside from all that, it's a wonderful shooter. I'm sure the ammo had some effect on accuracy, so I'll not pass judgement yet, but to date, I am not disappointed. I can't say enough about the gun's ergonomics and it's vicious sandpaper-like grip. I'll likely take it out again next week with decent ammo and post those results.

Back