Looseness in Ruger Ejector star?

S.F.S

I was looking at a used Ruger GP100 4" barrel very nice condition, everything checked out good, timing was good, cylinder lock up was tight, cylinder gap was very minimal, the action was smooth, barrel was clean. I was about to buy it, BUT I pushed on the ejector rod to check for binding and the ejector was not perfectly straight and had some play in it, but the ejector did function properly, no binding at all. (The star did sit flush with the cylinder)
      Is this a problem that I am better off to search on for another 4" or is this normal?
    By the way the price on this gun is $300.00, new is $400.00.

How good was cylider function? It sounds like someone got one stuck under the star and tried to force it closed. The rod is bent, not just a little loose correct?
If this is the case a good smith can put in a new rod fairly cheap.

Ben,
The cylinder functioned flawlessly and the ejector also functioned with no binding. I just happen to notice when i pushed on the ejector rod to raise the ejector star "The ejector appeared bent and had some play in it"
I called Ruger they said the play is normal as long as the ejector works with no binding and the star sits flush it should be OK:confused:

Scott

S.F.S.:
Exactly, some PLAY(wobble) is normal. Pust it all the way up and look to see if the actual rod is BENT. As long as it's not, you've got a fine gun. If it is bent, the above post applies. If the cylinder functions flawlessly, and sits down flush, it's probably just normal play.
(If you can't tell for sure if it's bent, get a couple other people to look at it with you, maybe someone else can tell for sure.)
As I said though, if the rest of the gun is that good, I'd still pick it up. It's easily fixed.:D

I forgot, easy check: There sould be a flat machined on one side of the rod. Cut a piece of paper the length of the extended rod. Then hold the factory cut side of the paper against the flat, if it sits flush, the rod isn't bent. If it doesn't have a flat this test will still work, just make sure the paper is straight.

Ben,
I called Ruger back again (I forgot to ask about the bend the first time) and told them that the ejector appeared bent.
They said if it was bent it would not function smoothly, it would bind.
They also said when you raise the star as far as it will go, (The ejector rod pushed all the way to the crane) the ejector is at the end of its travel at this point and it will look like its on a angle but that is normal.

They went and grabbed a GP100 just to verify it. Which was cool..

Thank you for your help,

Scott

Ben,
Its is a 4" .357 which will go along real well with two 6" .357's I already have, one is a GP100 and the other is the Security Six.
All I have to do now is get my as* to that gun shop to get it before it finds a new home:D

The ejector rod (and not the ejector star and its shaft) of the Ruger GP-100s & SP-101s have inherent wobble in them. Examination reveals a cut in the middle of the ejector rod shaft and there is play where the cut is located. Is this what you were talking about?

caught my eye.....

S F S
you said the magic word with me when you casually mentioned you had a Security Six.
I remember our State Armorer in constant contact with Ruger R&D boys about the then new Six line of double action revolvers. Our State made a mistake when they went to the 19 and then to the 66. I did not say that to start a fight but the 66's were failing with bent extractor rods and so on.........at any rate Ruger sent us one of their Security Sixes and a Speed Six short barrel 357.Stinking politics prevented us from going with all Security Sixes for all Troopers. All of us who tested them fell in love with them. I grabbed the short gun and took it apart and studied how they had engineered it to be strong and rugged. I smoothed up up and put a Tyler Grip Frame adapter on it. Later on I bought one and put Hogue rubber finger grips on it. The research to design and produce a strong reliable mid frame size 357 really shows in The Ruger Six model. I understand the 'Six' group could be had in a variety of barrel lenghts and sights-(iron or adjustable) blue and stainless. They are the model I am buying now every time I locate a good used one. I picked up one this summer and I keep my eyes open for them.
Mine is one of the models which had the grip frame alteration. The very first ones were different in some aspect so I guess mine is the second product line models. Seems that below a certain serial number would not allow certain brand name after market grips to be utilized.......oh I can talk all day about guns!
Oh Well just wanted to say Hello and that those Six Ruger Models are real rugged jewels. Have you noticed that they very seldom show up in the used section of gun shops. Their owners will not sell or trade them. Don Mallard

Back