Loose trigger pin

xcc_rider

I have a post war Walther PP that I love to shoot. Lately I noticed the trigger pin will begin to work its way out of the frame and I'm frequently pushing it back in.
I have a new pin on order but I'm not convinced it's a pin issue and possibly could be a frame issue.
What are my options if the pin frame holes are oversized?

Is the trigger pin in the right direction? it has a detent notch that catches the ejector spring if I remember right.

Sorry for the long delay.
The trigger pin is in correctly and the spring is in the notch. I've replaced the pin with a new one and it is tighter but still rotates when the trigger is pulled and will slowly work its way out until the spring stops the sideways movement. The total movement is about 20-25% of the pin length but enough to slide it out of the right side of the frame (if I don't catch it in time)

I'm considering two options; first press a portion of the pin (the side it moves out on) to make it slightly oblong so it has more of a friction fit or second is to use a punch to compress one side of the pin hole in the frame to reduce the hole ID a bit and accomplish the same friction fit.
I don't really want to mess with a frame and since a new pin is only $4 or so I think I'll try that option and see how it goes.

Any other suggestions?

If it has a spring detent notch, and the spring is engaged, how does it walk? Is the spring itself moving a bit, allowing the pin to move?

I would NOT modify the frame in any way. If the spring tab is indeed flexing, allowing the pin to walk, perhaps you can have a new pin made, which is slightly longer, or has the spring detent moved a bit. Moved to the point where after the spring is loaded, and does it's job of preventing further movement, the pin is still well inside the frame. Maybe the spring detent notch simply needs to be a bit deeper. You can probably do this yourself with a very sharp,thin file while spinning the pin in a drill ( using the drill as a makeshift lathe).

I don't like oblonging the pin, as it will eventually effect the hole in the frame. I am also wondering if there is a correctly sized pin that has threaded holes in the end ( like available for the AR) that may work. But ultimately, it should work as designed.

As usual, pictures will help us all diagnose and provide possible fixes. There are many clever people on this site, and they have helped me every time.

DON'T MOD THE FRAME!!!!

Good luck

Rich

Yeah, modifying the frame of a 64 year old gun isn't on the top of my to do list. (It was made a year before I was)
The spring is in the detent\groove but as with most springs it does have a bit of flex to it. Enough so that it allows the pin to walk out a certain amount.

The new pin is a tighter fit and it won't move as far or as quickly as the original pin.
I think the pin shouldn't be rotating in the frame when the trigger is actuated. Rather the trigger should rotate on the pin that is held firmly in the frame. In this scenario the pin stays inplace like it should.

I have a gunsmith friend that I've been meaning to visit. I think I'll take it with me and see what he can come up with.

Back