loose screw

test drive

I have a Pietta 1860 steel frame. Gun is new. After cocking the revolver several times the front screw on left side of frame(bolt screw?) Starts to back out. Do I just use a little lock tight or what? Gun functions fine other than that. Thanks.

Yes, that would be the bolt screw pin. After it wears some, it may quit. Of course, it may wear the cam out too. I would open it up and see what's happening. If you just have to, put just a little bit on the underside of the screw head. Being black powder, it will be apart often. (Nail polish will work too.) It wouldn't hurt to harden the screws and screw pins just so you could tighten them up a tad bit more without messing them up.

I use a little on my El Patron.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Thanks Mike. Also do you know who might still stock and sell American Pioneer Powder? I know the stuff is weak but all we do is punch paper for a dollar a shot and that stuff is giving me very good results at 15 to 20 yards and it cleans up very easy. The one pound bottle a got several years ago still works great but I'm starting to run low. If not what would be the next closes thing to it? Again thanks for your reply.

Test drive,
Sorry, dont know much these days about bp and the subs. as far as where to get it. My lgs keeps a supply of something all the time.
I haven't shot bp in about 15 yrs. All my opentops (and my Remie) are cartridge shooters now (.45 C) and I shoot smokeless. ( had all the bp fun I could stand from '73- '99 !! Lol)
The best thing is I still shoot my fav. revolvers, which now have way more cool factor with gated conversions, and can clean um when I get around to it!! Gotta love it !!!!

Sltm1,
Thanks! I mentioned it above but, it's a good thing to point out if you are financially "responsible" ! Just borrow some from the little lady - if you ask, she'll prob give you some of the not so trendy nail polish she has! Thats how I got the stuff I keep in the tool box for marking torqued bolts and the like.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Well, I just found that Trip. 7 was introduced in 2002 and I had bought a couple of pounds of the new "water clean up" stuff. I remember it made the '60s I had jump nicely!!!! So, its been more like 13 yrs. since I " threw in the towel" on bp.

Last edited:
If you choose Loctite, be sure to use the blue loctite, and not one of the others.
Used sparingly, it usually releases with just a little persuasion.

Another vote for Hodgdon's Triple 7 BP substitute.
No sulfur smell and just enough white smoke to add to the fun, without running folks off the range.
Unfortunately it absorbs water and must be throughly cleaned out or your gun will rust about as fast and bad as with black powder.
Something to watch out for.

Back