Loose Leupold Dovetail

John in ca

I've got a standard ring, mount set-up and after taking off the scope a few times, the front dovetail ring is loose, meaning it turns in and out with your fingers, not like it's wobbling all over the place. With the scope mounted and the dovetail's in the proper position, everything feels tight. Nevertheless, I thought the dovetails were always supposed to be snug where you have to turn it in and out with a broom handle or wrench.
Thanks.

loose dovetail

The Leu. dovetail comes with graphite grease-oil on it. This is to prevent the metal from galling or wearing when first installing it. You should always lube the dovetail when reinstalling it to prevent loosening the fit. However, if it is loose you might try "lightly" pinging the metal in the base to obturate the metal to get it to fit a little tighter. I'd try it with a small hammer and flat punch and after a couple of "pecks" retrying the fit to see if it tightens up. Also, relube the dovetail on the rings. Or it may be tight enough to not cause problems?

I'll give it a try. What do you have to lose in a low-cost mount. Never had that problem before, but what you say makes sense. I'll give it a try. Appreciate the assistance. Take care.

John in ca

My experience while working as a gunsmith was that the Leupold rings and bases were always softer than their Redfield equivilants. They just do not wear as well as the old Redfields, IMHO. This may be part of your problem. You can peen them and retighten them as described above, but the problem will in all likelyhood return in short order. I would look at different rings and bases, particulary if this is on a mission critical piece of gear like a tactical rifle.

Personaly, I have become awfuly fond of Badger equipment. Heavy, expensive, but it WORKS.

HTH

Why not call Leupold?

The manual from my latest Leupold scope, about two years old now, lists the product service and technical information phone number as 503-526-1400. A web search gives their main phone number as 503-646-9171. One or both should get you to a tech.

Huck Phinn,
The problem with dealing with a manufacturer is they will always stand by their product design, despite it's failings. I am sure that if I contacted Leupold or XYZ company, they would just say send it back and they wouldl replace it with a new one, whether it solves the problem or not. Leupold like all manufacturers will do that, but it really doesn't fix the problem. I think investing in quality rings and bases like Bullet308 suggested would be worthwhile to all shooters, barring the occassional once a year type of hunter who needs it for that one trip. I think the standard Leupold base is a throw away item, but that's just my opinion.
John in ca

At least, should Leupold send you replacements, you will have trade goods to take back to the dealer when you go for the supposed upgrade. With your original receipt and the unopened replacements, the dealer should have no trouble giving you credit.

Have you seen any functional indication that there is, indeed, a problem? I went through a phase of scope swapping with a couple of friends during which we moved two scopes many times between four rifles. This was possible because the rifles all had the same Redfield Jr. one piece bases. Both sets of rings slip very easily into all four bases now. None of us can point to any increase in group size or wandering point of impact. Maybe it ain't broke, and does not need fixing?

Loose dovetail is enough for me to throw it out. Like a cracked belt that drives the generator. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? Your right, it might shoot OK for a while, but why bother? Anyhow, your idea about sending it back to the dealer is good. I lapped the rings though, so it would first have to go to Leupold, get an exchange, then send it back to the dealer, who charges a restocking fee. After all the costs to do that all I 'm not left with much. Sounds like Redfield makes some fine products.
John in ca

Never liked the dovetail mounts. I solved that problem by going to the Leupold Mk.4 mounts. Lots more money but you CANNOT destroy them unless you run over them with an M1A Abrams.

I don't think they are meant to be taken down and installed repeatedly. I always looked at them as a one-shot (or maybe two shot) deal.

Back