Loose front globe sight on Pedersoli Sharps

DCRTorr

Inactive
Hello, I have a Pedersoli Sharps 1874 'Q' model in 45-70. It came with factory tang rear sight and globe front sight. I replaced the blade front sight w/ the globe sight and noticed that both tapped pretty easily out of / into the dovetail (not a lot of friction).

I was testing some loads this week and getting good groups (1 1/2 - 2 MOA at 200 yds) when the rounds started to walk to the left & off the paper. As far as I can tell, the rear sight wasn't the problem. The front sight appeared to have slid in the dovetail, just under the effect of recoil -- I'm confident I didn't bump it. It happened while I was shooting a 5-shot string w/ the rifle set in front & rear sandbags.

My question is: what's the best way to tighten up the sight in the dovetail? I've heard of a couple of methods:
-- use a center punch to dimple the bottom of the dovetail groove, thereby raising some of the steel around the indentations that increases friction w/ the sight base.
-- Use a flat punch along the outside edges of the dovetail (with the sight in place) to tighten up the sight in the groove.

Or, should I take it to a gunsmith for some sort of repair?
Thanks

I prefer a center punch

As you have noted, there are choices to the fix and you have to take it on a case by case basis. I have done the center punch dimples. Five dimples, in the "dice" pattern. I have seen the use of a flat bunch but don't care for it. Also, look at the dovetail ears at the top of the barrel and see if that are flaring out. If so, take them back down. Then finally a dob of locktite.
If you have a gunsmith that you like, ask him how he makes this fix. .;)

I have a similar project in progress and might I ask if yours is a .375 dovetail?

Be Safe !!!

I'm sure you didn't do this but just in case...do you know there is a certain way the new sight has to go into the dovetail? The dovetail is wider on the right side as you're looking down the barrel and narrower on the left side. The new sight has to go in from the right and drifted to the left. If done opposite, it makes it too loose. Use some red loctite under the new sight to keep it from sliding.

Thanks for the info -- I don't think I drifted it in from the wrong side, because it went in very easily. And, it's slipping out to the right which is causing the shots to go left. I'll try your recommendations

I had this happen a few years ago with an old muzzle loader I had. I mixed up a tiny amount of jb weld and spread it smoothly and evenly across the bottom of the dovetail slot on the barrel, let it cure, and then filed it smooth with a small extra fine file. It added just enough material to make the sight fit snug. You may have to file a little at a time until you get your fight just right, but the good news is that if you file too much you can just add more jb and keep working.

Back