Looking to upgrade .45

Meiji_man

1991a1 series 80 Colt.

Had it 4 years, Just replaced recoil spring and firing pin spring. I've heard "things" about these guns, Bad metal, cheaply made. I've never had a problem. Should I be looking to get a new one or should I modify the old one?
I've always treated 1911's like a classic car, lots of after market parts to trick it out with. But still has that "good ol days" feel.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm dubious about claims of bad metal. Good metal is no more costly than "bad", so I doubt there's a money saving to a manufacturer on that issue.

Poor quality in the manufacturing process oughta be visible, or evident from stuff not functioning correctly or breaking. You should already know all you need to about that, just from your shooting.

If you're basically happy with it as is has performed so far, I'd just do the minor stuff which improves basic performance. Trigger job, polishing of the feed-ramp, some variant of the beavertail grip safety (I personally prefer the flat Colt style, but that's just my hand...), and whatever sights turn you on.

FWIW, Art

Meiji_man, one of the great things about the 1911 is that it is the one pistol that lends itself to modifications reflecting the individual owner's taste. There's nothing that I'm aware of in the 1991A1 that's any different from any other Colt. It's just as strong, they just took less pains making them. I'll go a step farther than Art and say do whatever modifications turn you on. George

Back