Looking to put together my next AR, need some advice.

Kimio

So I want to give my hand at building my next AR from the ground up.

I'm already looking at a solid armorers guide as well as investing into some basic punches to get me started. Thus will be the first time I've ever tried something like this before.

Doing my homework, I've already picked up a barrel wrench that also assists with me installing the buffer tube.

Other than a brass head hammer as well as a few other basic tools, do you think there is anything else I should consider?

Barrel timing to my understanding is important, though I'm still trying to read up on exactly what it is (to my understanding it has to do with how the barrel is threaded and mated to the upper receiver.)

The most intimidating part of the build I think is assembly of the lower receiver and the trigger group. So any advice on making this process as easy as possible would be appreciated.

The USMC manual is good too. Either will guide you through the assembly. It isn't difficult at all and if you've played with Legos as a child or worked on cars as a teenager, you'll have no problems.

Thank you both, I do have a question however.

To save a bit on cost, I'm considering simply using my current Stag Arms Model 4 for this new build and altering it.

I'd like to go with a 15" keymod rail system for this build, however, there is a slight problem. I currently have a fixed A2 style front iron sight on the barrel. How difficult would this be to remove? Would I be better off just removing the barrel entirely and switch it out with something else and install a low profile gas block?

I plan on setting up the rifle for longer range shooting, so ideally, I'd like to go with a faster twist rate than my current 1/9 20" barrel so that I may fire a heavier round if I so desire.

Thank you cowtowner. Now I need to look at the dimensions of the gas block I want to see if I'll need to get the barrel refinished or not.

Not hard to remove the A-2 front sight post. They are tapered pins and general rule is you tap from left to right to remove (and tap right to left to drive in a pin). Measure the diameter of the pin on each side to make sure.

Go over to ar15.com and look at their how to's. You'll be a lower building pro quick. Use tape and go slow.

With the upper, in my limited experience, getting an A2 sight of requires a 2.5-3 lb hammer and a good steel pin punch....and the willingness to beat the -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- out of it!

Also, rule #1 in my book is to always use a pinned gas block. The 2 best are an A2 FR sight or a chopped A2 FR sight. All others new custom pinned by ADCO or similar.

Your idea, I would buy a mid length barrel with FSB, chop it and put the rifle rail over it.

Back