Looking to Buy First Shotgun...

sundance43.5

Hi everyone, I've narrowed my choices down, and I would like to pose some questions to you:

1) I've narrowed my choices down to a Mossberg 590A1, a Winchester 1300, and maybe a Remington 870.

2) How hard is it to find a 590A1?

3) Is it worth buying a new Remington?

4) It's really between the 590 and the 1300, so which?

Thanks

If you are wanting the shotgun primarily for law enforcement or defensive use, get the Mossberg M-590.

If you want a good general purpose shotgun for hunting and home defense, go with a Mossberg M-500 with a 28" barrel and several chokes with an additional 18.5" barrel for it to wear while pulling nightstand duty.

Doc Hudson

At this point, I believe it boils down to personal preference. Neither the 1300 or the Mossies show a clear advantage to me,and I believe either will prove satisfactory.

As for the 870, even in its present PC state, it's oneheckuva shotgun.

A friend left his guns with me while he's out of the country. The 870 Express among them is about a 3 year old gun.I doubt there's been more than a box or two of shells through it. I shot a round of trap with it, and while it's certainly not as smooth as my older 870s, it WILL be. And, it swings nicely,works every time, and will last longer than other shotguns.

A classic 870 is a wonderfully designed and built shotgun.
The new ones, with all the PC and bottom line choices I decry, are still on a level with the others you are interested in.

In your shoes, I'd look around for a used 870. If none are found, then go for the shotgun that feels best to you off your list...

I would opt for the 870. Dependable, easy to work on , lots of parts floating around. You could buy a primary 870 and an old one for parts(not that u would need them, but just to be on the safe side)and you would be set. Then again , Im very partial.;)

good luck, forkwolf

Back