Looking to buy a new semiauto...having trouble

Nightcrawler

My only pistol to date has been a moderate-quality 1911 clone with a 4" barrel, and I'm looking to replace it before too long. I'm having troubles, though. I like the impulse of the .45ACP cartridge. It's nothing substantial. I've never fired a 9mm. I am interested in trying 10mm and .357 Sig, though. Problem is magazines. If I'm going to buy anything besides a .45, I want hi-cap magazines, which is why I want to decide before I buy the pistol, so I can start gathering up magazines before they get too scarce. Can you find more than 10 round magazines for anything in .40, 10mm,or .357 Sig these days?

If its high caps you want you should seriously take a look into the Glock lineup. I own a G22, G23 and a G27(sub compact) they are all .40 by the way. You can still find high caps for the 22/23 almost anywhere but for a premium price $75-$100 for a 13 rounder. And get this,,,the baby G27 will accept the high cap mags, so you have a tiny carry gun with a ton of capacity with an extra 13 round mad in the pocket!

Seeing how the .357 sig is so new I am not really sure what high caps are available for it. I was thinking of buying a .357sig but after much debate I just bought a drop in barrel for my G27. What I found since is that the ammo is VERY expensive and is also extremely loud, I shoot with the .357sig barrel from time to time but I doubt I will buy a whole gun chambered for the round.

Also, the 9mm is another round with many high caps available from a variety of makes. I love Glocks and Sig Sauers and my whole pistol collection is almost split 50/50 with the exception of an HK USP, The Sig P-228 still has many high caps floating around for $100 and over much of the time (YIKES!) but they are out there, The Glock 19 is thought to be one of the best 9mms on the market as well as the P-228.

Seriously, your best bet is to narrow it down a little by chosing what make of gun you think you might want and then go through the whole high cap drill from there, many guns out there have high caps, the hard part will be chosing which make to start with.

Glock has always been teh king of capacity though, fitting many rounds in a small package. Seriously take a look at the G19, you cant go wrong with that one!

Good luck,
~Jason

My suggestion is a hi-power( or a clone) or a cz75b. I have an Arcus highpower that is very accurate and fun to shoot. It uses regular hi-power mags. CDNN investments sells 17 round mags that work excellent and are very well made for $20. I also have a cz75b. The factory 15 round mags are still available for it for $45. Cz promags are also supposed to work fine. I just got two of them.Cdnn investments sells them for $14.99 each. I personally would have a problem paying $75 and up for mags. Also 9mm ammo can be had at the best price. That makes for more practice.

Another vote for the CZ-75 series. Hi-caps available directly from the factory reps (CZ-USA) for $45.

Plus, the manual of arms for the CZ is the same as for the .45 M1911 so you can carry cocked and locked if you choose.

Still available for less than $350 if you shop around.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Thanks...

Cost-effectiveness in ammo is a priority, too, so I'll probably be either a nine-mil or a forty-five. I've never fired a 9x19, before, but am kinda drawn to the forty-five. Maybe if I actually got to shoot a 9mm, I'd feel different, but I don't know anyone who has one.

Ahh, the Tactical Tupperware. I'm afraid not, probably. I like a crisp, light trigger pull, something unavailable in a DAO design. But, more important than that, the Glock's grip just doesn't agree with my hand, and I'm a lefty. The mag release button digs into the base of my index finger.

If I got a 9mm, it would probably be a Hi-Power. I feel better with anything designed by JMB, and you can get 13 and even 30 round magazines for it, everywhere, dirt cheap (www.cheaperthandirt.com). It's the original wonder nine! I mean, a pistol that's been in constant production since 1935 has got to be a good design!

As for a "carry" gun. While we recently passed Shall Issue in Michigan, I'm only 19, 20 this summer. You have to be 21 to carry with the new law. So...

Of course, unless it's a private sale, I can't buy a pistol 'till I'm 21 either. LOL

The BHP is an excellent pistol, a true classic and standard capacity mags (13rnd) and hicaps (17 rnd) are available. FN is suppossed to be importing them again sometime this year.

Also, for a lefty the CZ 85 is a good bet with lots of 15 rnd mags available.

Choosing between these two is really difficult.

Ditto on the CZ75. After reading posts here I decided to get one for Christmas. Price won't hurt either - I paid $389 for the nickel finish w/2 10 round mags. I also bought a 15 round mag for $49 from the same dealer.

NightCrawler, you may be missing the point.

The vast majority of factory STANDARD magazines are selling for obscene amounts. By comparison, the $45 CZ mags are much less. The Pro Mags for the CZ are $15, and unlike MANY of the cheap BHP mags, they WORK!:)

Back