Looking for 'the best' Remington 700 smith...

rcmark

The gun:

Remington 700 SPS THREADED BARREL 223 20 IN SYN
Timney 2-STAGE CALVIN ELITE REMINGTON MODEL 700 (RIGHT HAND - BLACK TRIGGER 532CE, 8 OUNCE, 1 LB)
SIGHTRON SIIISS10-50X60LR MOA,SIII 30MM RIFLESCOPE 25003

I want a new barrel installed and the stock pillar bedded and barrel free floated and anything else that can be done to make the gun as accurate as possible (at a reasonable cost).

Looking for a 'really experienced' Remington 700 gunsmith without a LONG waiting line.

Suggestions?

Give Accurate Ordnance a call. I used them when when I needed a barrel replacement on my Remington 700 LTR 308 cal. They trued up the action ( blueprinted ) installed a new Rock Creek M24 5R 11.27 twist barrel cut at 21" bedded & turned it around in 4 weeks. Shoots 1/2 " groups 200 yards. Very pleased with their work, give them a all.

Last edited:
Accurate Ordnance are the people I'd go to. You'll find their reputation for quality, accuracy, customer service, and quick turn around time to go above and beyond.

Best in the buisness im aware of, and I want a rifle made by them pretty badly.

The good gunsmith will normally be pretty busy. I have check recently on wait time for a barrel but that could be longest wait.

Mine try this one

WEST WIND RIFLES
David S. Sullivan
640 Briggs Street
Erie, CO 80516
Phone: 303-828-3823 e-mail: westwindrifles@comcast.net

Meredith Rifles in Alabama...I personally know him and he is a great guy and you will not get a better shooting rifle for less $$. I've personally seen 20+ of his rifles shoot and they are all 1/2 MOA or better shooters.

I just have to ask why you want a 10-50x scope on a 223? I have 5 Sightron SIII scopes,but all are 6-24x,and I shoot out to 1200 yards with them with my 6.5mm's.

That much scope on a 223 is kind of useless,IMO.

50 power, a lot of shaking going on. What ever your comfortable with is fine. I was looking at the Weaver T-24 & T-36 fixed power. The ranges in my neck of the woods 200 yards max. I only bench rest shoot with a Bushnell 6x24x40 Elite, its not a high end scope but it works good for me.

I would also get them to install a nut type barrel so you can change it yourself in the future.

Not sure how long a 223 will last but a 308 will start to loose accuracy after 5,000 rounds or so.

That's maybe 2 years shooting for me (went with Savage for just that reason)

While I have not done it yet (soon likely as I have an 06 coming in that may need to change) its amazingly easy. I am not inclined to do that stuff but this I will. Head space gauge, something to hold he barrel in a vice (couple pieces of wood grooved to barrel) and a barrel nut wrench.

That's a lot of money to spend, putting lipstick on a pig. If it were me, I would spend the same amount of money to buy something was was competent to do the job in the first place, right out of the box.

Your story reminds me of a time when I decided to save money by purchasing a lathe tool grinder from Harbor Freight. The thing worked OK - but only after I had taken it apart, worked on it extensively, replaced the "concrete" grinding wheels with the real thing, and finally put it back together again. Out of the box, it was not satisfactory at all.

My point is: My Harbor Freight tool grinder works OK now, but it is still a POS "assembled kit" from Harbor Frieght. I still get asked, "Why didn't you just get a real one?" from time to time.

This is how a feel when I see a Rem 700 that has had to be so extensively re-worked as to double the price, in order to get it to shoot well.

"Why didn't he just go ahead and get a real one?"

Last edited:
Remington 700 LTR shot great right from the start, after 4000+ rounds down the barrel & a new barrel needed, instead of selling a rifle that is a joy to shoot. Find a good gunsmith to true it up & install a barrel of choice, just makes your old reliable even better.

Cw308 captured it well. I did the same with a 5r and couldn't be happier. GA Precision did my work ...

Not sure why you'd want to spend this kind of money on the rifle when I saw in your thread that it was shooting very accurate already? Your looking at near a grand for what your asking. Could of simply just bought a custom .223 to begin with. Your rifle seemed to be shooting 1/2 MOA or better already. What more are you trying to ask for here out of a 600$ rifle to begin with? Also if its the cheap Hogue factory stock why bother having it bedded instead of just swapping stock? Get the alumnium bedded Hogue or a HS, even a B&C would be a nice upgrade. Likely no bedding required or some minimal tweaking yourself.

That is also a crazy amount of power to have for a .223 scope as someone already pointed out. Thats benchrest comp type power. 4x16 should be plenty maybe 6x24 if you really feel the need for more magnification. 4x16 is good well over 800 yards and most .223 applications are well below that.

I'm not sure what your trying to accomplish here but my advice is best to rethink this. What your asking is a ton of money for minimal gain or the wrong idea. I'd do some research learn up on some things because sounds like your really not sure here about what your trying to do.

Back