Looking for that "P" on a Swiss rifle?

zfk55

Soldiers mustering out of active duty were given the option of keeping or turning in their rifles. If they simply turned them in, the rifle went into storage in the armoury. If they opted to keep their rifles, the receiver was then stamped with a "P" to designate Private ownership. That P designation seems to be sought after in rifle purchases. Think about it.

An armoury stored rifle had been fired the obligatory number of rounds in training exercises and operations. The user/owner of the rifle kept after service was then very likely used in the nation-wide civilian matches that happen virtually every week at one or another 300m range in Switzerland. Factually that meant that double, triple or more rounds were fired from that rifle.

Would that be a reason to deliberately seek out a "P" stamped rifle as a shooter/keeper?
At first the imports were all armoury stored rifles, but as the armoury supplies dwindled, or when old Hans' rifle passed into the hands of a relative who had no interest in the rifle, those P stamped rifles began showing up among the imports. Our own armoury has not one single P stamped rifle for the above reasons.

I'm a Moderator there. What does that link have to do with the barrel conditions of P stamped rifles?

That's the link for markings for Swiss rifles, that I know of.

Maybe a some of the Swiss experts could chime in.

Dennis, my post is, of course, a generality. There are rifles, when examined with a Hawkeye Pro borescope, show marginal barrel lands/grooves and rough looking surfaces that shoot like a house afire. Conversely there are bores that appear shiny and sharp that shoot terrible groups. Knowing at least the rifle has a good "appearing" bore can help for sure, but the rifle stamped with a "P" has little to do with it's potential accuracy. The owner may have taken great care of the stock, but a great outward appearance doesn't mean much with a Swiss rifle. Most all of them have great bores, but the point is that the "P" means little in application.

Back