Looking for T/C information

triker

Any T/C experts here that can help me? I just purchased a Contender in 22 hornet. It is a super 14 in stainless steel. According to handgun hunter magazine with T/C serial numbers, mine is first year with serial S10xxx made in May or June of 1993. What barrels will fit it? Is this a G2? thanks triker

Last edited:
at one time TC made some armaloy barrels and frames and they aren't interchangeable with the blue frames and/or sst frames. otherwise you should be good to go with everything else

Let the fun begin

Now take care not to get bit by the Contender-Bug. I once said I'd never get started on them and they started multiplying like rabbits. Did yours come with the Rynite synthetic furniture and describe your hammer mounted selector. These are great shooters and many barrels options are still available..... ;)

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

Pahoo, mine does indeed have the black rubber or whatever grip and forearm. It also has the selector on top of the hammer, C, red dot, R.. triker

After decades of having no interest at all in the Contender, I made the "mistake" of handling one and feeling the trigger pull. That made me decide to get one.

Turns out, the barrels are like the old potato chip ad, "bet you can't shoot just one!"

Production in 93 and "first year" Contender don't go together to my ear. Contenders were on the market long before that. Might be first year G2 Contender, don't know. I have a couple old ones but I'm no expert.

G2s will take all the common older barrels. G2s are supposed to be easier to open than earlier Contenders, and can be recocked without opening the action.

I have a 10" .22 Hornet barrel, I'm very happy with it. I think the 14"s are best for those rounds you want to get the most out of, power wise. I've got a 14" .45-70, .30-30, and .45 Win Mag. Love the .45-70, the others..not as much. Had a 14" .223, and hated it.

.45-70, .22 Hornet, and the short one is 9mm Luger!

There are always trade offs !!

Production in 93 and "first year" Contender don't go together to my ear.
That too caught my attention so went back and reread what the OP had posted. These were 1st year of going to SS and I have one of that vintage and as stated, I have too many. .... :rolleyes:
G2s will take all the common older barrels. G2s are supposed to be easier to open than earlier Contenders, and can be recocked without opening the action.
It's important to note and understand that there are trade-off between the Contenders and the G2's. Frankly, just like some folks prefer the Ruger MK-IIs, over the MK-IIIs, I prefer the Contenders, over the G2s. Of course you have to consider the larger caliber range of the G2s. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

I think the 14"s are best for those rounds you want to get the most out of, power wise. I've got a 14"
I like the 14" for most everything. But went the opposite way with my 45-70. A 10" SSK ported barrel, open sights. Just wanted the biggest bang in the smallest package for my G2.
My regular deer hunting barrel is a 35 Remington Super 14 with a Burris 1.5-4 scope.

The original (G1)Contender was introduced in 1967.

The G2 Contender was introduced in the late 90's, after the larger-framed Encore was introduced, and is basically a G1 Contender with a reinforced frame & an Encore trigger group (which some folks prefer & some hate).

You apparently have an early stainless G1, which (as stated above) will accept any G1/G2 barrel except that:
*Barrels for the original G1 Contender may be used on the later-released G2 Contender.
*G2 barrels may be used only on original Contender frames with a serial number greater than 195000.

G1 & G2 grips are not interchangeable between the two frames, due to the difference in the respective grip frame angles.

So, you should be good to go, vis-a-vis mounting extra barrels, except for the noted Armoralloy barrels.

The original Contender designs also have an adjustable trigger, allowing the shooter to change both take-up and overtravel, permitting user selection of a range of trigger pulls ranging from a fairly heavy trigger pull suitable for carrying the pistol while hunting to a "hair trigger" suitable for long range target shooting.

Unlike the later G2 Contender, the original Contender may be safely dry-fired (provided the hammer is not drawn back from the second notch) to allow a shooter to become familiar with the trigger pull.
The break-action only has to be cycled, while leaving the hammer in the second notch position, to practice dry-firing.

My fave, of the 8-10 Contender's I've owned over the years since introduction, was a G1 that I mounted a special-order T/C Custom Shop (the old Fox Ridge Outfitters) Super 14 barrel w/Muzzle-Tamer on, in .375 Winchester.

Last edited:
Contenders and G-2 Contenders

Technically speaking, there is no such thing as a G-1 Contender. Some folks have coined that term as a default, after the issue of the G-2 Contenders. You have Contenders and G-2 Contenders. ;)

As far as Armoralloy barrels, have never physically seen one but have seen a number of pictures and they stand out, like a sore thumb so not much potential for getting into trouble with one of these. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

Back