Looking for some start up advice/validation.

M3mh0g

Inactive
Just got my tax return in and have decided to jump into the world of reloading. I'm bit nervous about the entire premise, but that may not be a bad thing. Please validate or bash my ideas below.
Here's what I'm thinking.
Lee 4 hole turret kit with auto indexing
Lee auto prime
Single stage press (old lee I can get for cheap)
Rcbs lock-out die
Because of my nervousness I'd like to use the lockout die but the turret only has 4 holes so if I used the single stage to de-prime and size the case, the auto prime to prime them all (which will give me another chance to inspect the brass), then go to the turret with the next four steps.
Does this make sense, or am I over thinking the process?
At the moment I only plan on reloading 45 acp, and I don't want to start on a progressive press.

M3, first off, welcome to the forum. Reloading opens up a whole new aspect to the world of shooting, whether it be at targets or in the field looking to fill the freezer (or even the dinner plate).

I started off (some 35+ yrs ago) using a Lee 3-holer Turret press my dad had bought a few years prior to that time. I always used it as a single stage press and bought extra turrets so I didn't have to reset my dies each time I switched calibers to load for. I used a loading block and drop tube powder dispenser, which gave me an opportunity to visually inspect each case for missed charges or double charges (either is bad). This setup worked wonders for many thousands of rounds, consisting primarily of .38s, .357s, and .44mags. I used it on some '06 rounds a few times (required special handling due to case length) until I didn't get one lubed enough and got the case stuck in the sizer die, but that is a story for another time.

That old 3-holer press grew feet one day and walked out of my shop overnight with a few other items I will probably never be able to replace. My next press was another 3-holer and I still load in single stage mode (but now have better security in the reloading room.)

Good luck, enjoy your new found hobby and equipment, and above all, follow the instructions so you can be safe.

Back