Looking for Ruger P90 trigger work info or gunsmith.

ToddW

Hello,

I have a Ruger p90 that has the typical single-action trigger pull for this series of pistols - rough with lots of creep. After another couple hundred rounds this weekend, I was again reminded how long and rough it is. The trigger is my only complaint, the functioning, fit, and operation are excellent otherwise.

Does anybody know of a good gunsmith manual or article for smoothing up a P90 trigger? I'd like to try and smooth it up a little myself and see what improvement I can get. If the trigger is still in bad shape, I would seek out a gunsmith who works on these pistols.

I've done some internal smoothing on my Ruger revolvers and 1911s, so I feel comfortable doing some basic work with a crocus cloth and/or an Arkansas stone.

Does anybody know of some online(or other) source for this type of work?

Failing that, does anybody know a reputable gunsmith who works on Ruger P-series pistols?

Thanks,
Todd

LaRocca GunWorks

I've heard LaRocca GunWorks does very good work. Mike LaRocca is a nationally known pistolsmith and I've heard on another board that he has done wonders with P90 triggers. I'm thinking of having my P90 done. His address and phone number are:

Gunworks Mike La Rocca 51 Union Place, Worchester, MA, 01608 508 754 2887 ...

If you send your P90 to Mike, please let me know how it turns out....

Thanks for your reply. I might not have it done right away. Though if I fire it more often I will be reminded how awful the trigger is and be compelled to get the work done. I'll check on prices and when/if I get it done, I will post the results back on this board.
Regards,
Todd

My brother had a P90. It had the worst trigger of any pistol I've ever shot, bar none. His fix was a G21. (Now somebody else has to suffer with that crappy Ruger trigger.)

Falconer, yes I do. The only thing about these and other double action auto triggers is that there is nothing you can do short of making a new trigger bar assembly to shorten the DA pull. You can lighten it and make it as smooth as glass but you'll still have the long pull. I'd be happy to work over the triggers for you guys. Just e-mail me. George

I'm not troubled by the double-action pull. I expect a long pull in a pistol of this type. I'm more interested in removing the long creep and roughness in the single-action pull. I probably would not even want to lessen the pull weight as this is my home defense gun and I wouldn't want it too light.
Thanks,
Todd

To all interested I live down the road from Mike LaRocca and have to say that his services are second to none.

He has done several 1911's and a shotgun for me, his only issue is the time, only 3 smiths work so turn around is longer than usual.

If you live in the area he will allways take your guns first.

Ps it is in Worcester.

Back