Looking for Rem. 700

MutDog

Inactive
Well gentlemen Im new to this site and forum that a buddy turned me too. He told me to ask here. Im looking for a Rem. 700 police sniper rifle w/ a 26" HB. Just like the militarys version of the M24 but at half the cost. Ive been to plenty of shops and can only find them with 21 or 24" barrells and I want the 26. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks gents. I still do not know how to navigate through the site yet so directions would also be greatful.

V/R

MutDog . Sniper1
Military Police Sniper
2005-2009

The military version has a custom barrel, as well as several other non standard options. You're not going to get the same rifle out of the box at any price. Something like this may be as close as you're going to get

http://remington.com/products/firea...ctical/model-700-xcr-tactical-long-range.aspx

or this

http://remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-target-tactical.aspx

FWIW the velocity difference between a 24" and 26" barrel in 308 is insignificant. Probably in the neighborhood of 20-30 fps. Maybe less.

as another person said, your not going to find a 26" out of the box... i also was stuck on the 26, went through HS precision to get exactly what i wanted, but the price tag was high

Its not the LE version but your cheapest solution with a 26" barrel is to buy an SPS Varmint for about $550-$600 and change the stock with a B&C, McMillan or other of your choice, depending on choice it'll be another $250.00 or so.

Then if you want a custom look finish, get a Duracoat kits and DIY. After that you can change the trigger, add a detachable mag system etc.

I did this with my SPS 7mm08 Varmint and am very pleased to date with the results I am getting both in looks and the range. Shot my best group this weekend at about 3/8" for 5 shots. That's at 100yds on the club range, I can't wait to get it on some distance ranges to see if those result will hold up.

Including the Weaver Super Slam 2X10X50 EBX, DNZ Mount, B&C Stock, Badger Knob, Wyatt Extended Box, Claw Sling, Tactical Concepts Stock Pack, and Duracoat I have about $1250.00 total in the gun and its exactly what I wanted to begin with. The only thing remaining on the wish list is a better trigger group but I'm still deciding on that one. By comparison a custom set-up similar with a lot of the same products/features was quoted to me at $2500 low end and $3500 high end. But my action isn't squared, polished or blueprinted, maybe if it was I could shoot 1/16" groups.

If you possess basic skills and patience you can replace parts and minor work to get what you want on most parts. This is not meant to say that quality gunsmiths aren't necessary to do more involved work but most things are not that daunting if you take your time.

The 700 SPS Varmint comes with a heavy contour 26" barrel like the 700 Police, but the M24 comes with a 24" barrel, not 26". The SPS' stock is different from the Police model and the police model is drilled and tapped for the larger 8-40 base mounting hardware vs the 6-40 the SPS Varmint is drilled for (not a big deal). You can find 700 Police models for sale on gunbroker.com all day long.

I did the exact same as Saltydog. I picked up a .308 SPS varmint at dicks on sale for 450 and bought a Choate tactical stock. The rifle and the stock came out to 650 and change.

The barreled action for the .308 varmint rifle is the same as the one on the 700P, so by doing this you can get the same action in a stock of your choice for much less than a new 700P and have lots of money left over for glass.

Just some food for thought.

Back