Looking for quality Kung Fu training in D.C. area

ThePatriot29

I'm interested in starting Kung Fu training, preferably White Crane. Does anyone have experience with any dojos in the D.C./Northern VA area? Comments, suggestions are welcome.

Tai Yim Shao Lin Hung Fot Kung Fu.

When I was a wee bairn, I took kung fu at the best place I could find -- or rather, that my dad could find. At the time (~13 years ago), Tai Yim had the best dojo around. He runs an un-Americanized operation in Wheaton, MD. The same company owns Flying Dragon martial arts supplies. Holy crap, they're online now! http://www.kungfu1.com/

I also know of another place I've passed on Rt. 29 in Silver Spring. It was actually featured on a Discovery Channel documentary about martial arts. The show made it look like they actually focus somewhat on the spiritual/metaphysical aspects of martial arts, which I thought was interesting. Other than that I don't know anything about 'em (can't even remember the name). If you want to know more about this one, I'll see what I can dig up.

Tai Yim is awesome. 8th Generation Shao Lin (by way of Hong Kong, I believe), and very traditional, and very good. Even teaches Lion Dancing, if you're interested! :D

I believe he has a Fairfax location in addition to the original one in Wheaton/Kensington.

- Aion

Is White Crane a subset of Shaolin, or another form altogether? I'd like to take White Crane, since I'm at college in this area, and there's a good White Crane place back home I can train at over summers, so continuity is good. I'll definately check into the suggestions.

Back