Looking for opinions

Prodigalshooter

I'm in the market for a .357 revolver . I have not been active in the gun arena for about 10 years or so and would like to hear some pros and cons about some guns I'm considering.
In the past I owned Ruger Security Six SS 6" barrel, Charter Arms 5 shot and shot Ruger single actions.
There is a Taurus .357 with a 4"ported heavy barrel in SS at one of my local shops that is calling out to me, but I don't want to jump in 'half-cocked' (sorry about the pun).
OK, are there better options out there (this one is sub $400)
Thanks

Several choice's here-

Greeting's-

FWIW, in my opinion the older Smith & Wesson's
would get the nod; especially the N frame 27's
and 28's, although one cannot rule out the 19's,
66's, and 686's. Barrel length is important;
what is the gun going to be used for. For CCW
purpose's, the 2-1/2" model's 19 and 66 are
very handy. For a uniform duty weapon, the 4"
66 and 686 maybe at the top of most folk's
list; both are stainless weapons. For punching
hole's in paper, I prefer the 6" 19, 27, or 28.
It's really hard to say which model is best; but
for me I prefer the 6" barrel 28, although it's
hard to beat a 6" 686.

Ruger's would follow the same rule; it all
depends on the intended use of the weapon.
If money is no object, a 70's model 6"
barrel Colt Python would be nice. Most
definitely, I would leave the Taurus in
the dealer's showcase.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

What Ala Dan said but with a big cherry on top of that Taurus. Those Brazilian guns have reportedly increased in quality every year for going on 15-16 years now. One would think that the bugs would be out by now and yet the ''quality'' continues to rise.

Good info above.

Suggest you not rush into things. Try a bunch, watch the prices, research.

You can get a lot of wheelgun for under 400 bucks out the door if you keep your eyes open.

My personal druthers lean toward the blued and older Smiths. Model 19 for general use and mostly soft loads. Model 27 or 28 for shootin a lot of stout .357s.

Favorite carry is a 2½" round butt 19.

Above all , inform yourself.

Sam

Ive got the Taurus SS tracker in .357 and love it. I have had a S&W in the past too and enjoy the Tracker more than the 686 I used to own. Its a great gun, fun to shoot and Taurus has the lifetime warranty. I got mine for $355. I own 2 Taurus weapons to date. Hopefully they will get the polymer semi line straightened out so I can get a PT145 but not until they figure out the deal there. The revolver line is very good quality. You wont be dissatisfied.

What yype of 357 to buy

An older Model 586 or 686 (blue or SS) is the answer. Avoid the newer ones with the rounder cylinder latch. Their innards have gone to hades!;)

Thanks for the advice, I realize this is a subjective matter, but hearing others opinions stirs the pot and makes me look at options I might not otherwise have considered. I have handled some Rugers, Taurus and S&W, will probably go with the one that makes me come back several times and feels the best.;)

Back