Looking for my first 22 rifle.

Adamantium

Hi. I'm in the market for my first 22, but really have no idea what to get. All I'm probably going to do with it is plink with friends.

Anyhow, What I'm looking for is a 22 lever action rifle, one that can shoot both short and LR, has a tube magizine that holds 15+ rounds of LR. And will last me for 4 or 5 years until I deside to buy a more expencive one. Plus something that isn't too heavy would be nice also. I'm looking for one in the price range of about $150. Any recommendations would be nice.

Or if there aren't any good quality rifles that fit in this price range, my next option would probably be a 10/22.

Sincerely,
Adam

------------------
Self improvement is a hobby of mine :)

I'd suggest a Henry lever-action if you want one new...I saw one for 170 dollars at a shop.

For a better quality rifle I'd suggest you try to find a used Winchester 1894 chambered for .22 short to LR. They run in the 200 dollar vicinity used in great shape.

The 10/22 is in the same price range, and I think it might be a better choice for ya. You can start with the basic gun for $150, then improve it with aftermarket work....

Adamantium, your best bet would be to get the 10/22. So many after market accessories are available for this rifle if you should ever get the urge to customize.

Oh Gawd....Adam armed?

10/22 Adam....you won't be sorry

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

yeah, what they said. it's hard to beat a 10/22. like they said above, you can buy so many goodies for it, and dress it up like you want, and if the rest of them are like mine, they'll take a whole lot of abuse...JMO
.....................bc.................

------------------
fiat justitia

Yep, the 10/22 is the way to go for that price range. But, if you specifically want a lever action, look for a used Marlin 39. You'll love it and it will last a lifetime assuming it starts off in good shape. There are other good lever actions, but IMO, they don't compare.

Yeah DC, you can't shoot everything with just knives
smile.gif

Anyway, my main reasons for getting a lever, is so I can have a magazine that will hold more than 10 rounds, and one that I can't lose accidentally. Plus from what my friend who knows alot about gun told me at school today, you can shoot long and short out of all lever actions. I might not matter that much, but it is always useful. And also I feel that proper triger control is a skill everyone should aquire. Which is why having a gun that you have to cock is a reason also.

... But, I have had the chance to shoot a 10/22 on a few different occasions, so I'm sure I won't be sorry if I get one.

Sincerely,
Adam

------------------

Yep, the 10/22 is no good for .22 shorts. Just curious though, why are shorts important to you?

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Well as I said before, "I might not matter that much, but it is always useful." It is just a frill.

Actually, The more I talk about getting my first 22 with people, the 10/22 always comes up. So what the hey, I think that will be my #1 choise.

Sincerely,
Adam

------------------

Back