Looking for Kahr (Auto Ordnance) Thompson info about NFA conversions...

jholland

Inactive
Hey guys... I just got a Auto Ordnance TA5 Thompson Lightweight Deluxe Pistol in the hopes of doing the NFA paperwork then adding a stock for an SBR and going full auto. I need some resources. I know what I need to do the NFA stuff but I need to know where to get the stock and the full auto conversion done. Is there a gunsmith that specializes in converting these into full auto and adding stocks?

Throw me some links or directions please...

THANKS!!!!

Jason

Full-auto isn't going to happen. Conversions have been a no-go since around '86 unless you are a manufacturer/dealer selling to cops/mil.

SBR shouldn't be a problem, though.:)

If you do a search, I think VUPDblue wrote a FAQ a while back.

As said before, Full auto is a no-go.

Not sure about the stock. I thought they made the gun so it was difficult to attach a stock.

Here is the link to VUPDblue's FAQ FAQ's

I'm assuming all I need is a stock to be made to fit the contour of the frame and have the frame drilled by a gunsmith. The custom butt stocks are $110 from Dan Block and he custom makes them for the gun. I just don't know who to send the gun to in order to have it drilled for the stock. Anyone have a gunsmith they trust that doesn't take 2 years to get to work that needs to be done? Are there any Thompson specific gunsmiths out there? I just found the guys website that makes the stocks but I'm coming up blank on gunsmiths for Thompsons.

Thanks, Jason

Current retail on them is just over 1k for the pistol. Dan Block just wrote me back and confirmed he can take care of the butt stock install with a custom butt stock that will match the rest of my wood for about $200 or so and HE will complete the machining of 3 holes needed to mount the stock to the frame and he's comfortable with it's strength. So with the ATF fee I'm looking at $1400.

TOO bad about the full auto. For some reason I thought you could still do conversions along with SBR and suppressors...

If you were planning on making the stock a detachable one your in for more than just drilling 3 holes on the frame. I won't explain the steps unless thats what you were planning on doing.

I converted my 1927 to a detachable stock but it's not the pistol, it is the regular rifle version. There are some Tommy only gunsmiths out there and they are not cheap at all, and the skies the limit on what you can do to them cosmetically.

Making a new Kahr full auto can't happen unless you have a whole lot of time and a whole lot of money, the receiver on the new Thompsons are not the same size as the old ones and you can't use any of the original parts from a 1921 or 1928 unless you do a lot of modification, it is cheaper to buy a real one then.

Also, you will be better off to buy a SBR with the steel receiver from Kahr instead of going SBR on the one you have. The cost will be less in the long run.

Current retail on them is just over 1k for the pistol. Dan Block just wrote me back and confirmed he can take care of the butt stock install with a custom butt stock that will match the rest of my wood for about $200 or so and HE will complete the machining of 3 holes needed to mount the stock to the frame and he's comfortable with it's strength. So with the ATF fee I'm looking at $1400.

Your math is off by $200, you need to pay $200 to MAKE it a SBR and another $200 for the stamp.

@Hitech78
$1000 for the pistol
$200 for the form 1 tax stamp (before work is done on gun)
$200 for the stock work.

= $1400. Where is this other $200 coming from?

@ jholland I just hope your aluminum frame holds up.

I thought you had to pay a total of $400 in fees...
$200 to MAKE/register
$200 to get the class III stamp

I was thinking about doing this to an 870 but I didn't want to pay $400....I might do it for $200. I must have been mislead.

Last edited:
Move to Montana and find a Machinist!!! Full auto's back baby!!!
JK, someone is going to jail over that bill. If not how awesome would that be?
Hi-points are made in Ohio, so I would probably be able to get a full auto hipoint 9mm carbine.

OH my!!!

Move to Montana and find a Machinist!!! Full auto's back baby!!!
Full autos aren't covered under that law. That's not the point anyway.

First, that law is a big middle finger toward the federal government. (That by itself makes it a good thing.) Second, the law will be challenged and the best way to get it to go in our favor is for someone to produce a 100% Montana made single shot .22LR and not an open bolt MAC-10. (Political correctness is a PITA, but that's the game we have to play.)

Once/if single shot .22s get OK'd, then we can move up to mag fed bolt 22's, then semi-auto mag fed 22's, then short barreled semi-auto mag fed 22's, then semi-auto mag fed centerfires, then maybe we might be able to get full auto back. (Then we can move onto suppressors.)

Remember, baby steps is how the gun grabbers have been able to do what they have. We can beat them at their own game. If we go for all or nothing we will end up with nothing.

Full autos aren't covered under that law. That's not the point anyway.

First, that law is a big middle finger toward the federal government. (That by itself makes it a good thing.) Second, the law will be challenged and the best way to get it to go in our favor is for someone to produce a 100% Montana made single shot .22LR and not an open bolt MAC-10. (Political correctness is a PITA, but that's the game we have to play.)

I'm sorry, I missed a post. What law are you guys talking about? :o

No full auto

The bill specifically excepts firearms that fire 2 or more bullets with one pull of the trigger, so no new manuf. full autos, even in Montana.

Ya gotta read the bill!!

correct me if i'm wrong:

I thought that since it is already a pistol, he would only have to register it as an AOW ($5 tax stamp) to add a butt-stock.

Back