Looking for info on Webley & Scott Mark IV .38

Johnny O.

Inactive
I came across a Webley & Scott Mark IV .38 it’s nickel plated but chipping off on some of the edges. It has a black plastic grip with Webley at the top. I have done some looking on google and have found pis of similar pieces but not the same. This may get long but I will try to describe all the markings. On the left side in front of the cylinder it has .38 then a dot with 767 behind it. under that it has 3 ½ TONS under that there is a symbol like a circle with something in it (it may be a crown). Under that are the letters BNP this is also on the cylinder all the way around it 6 times. On top of the cylinder is MARK IV .38 . Looking down from the top it has WEBLEY & SCOTT and under that Made in England. On the left side under the cylinder it has a big letter “B” on top of what is probably the ser. No. 86770. On the bottom of the barrel close to the hinge where the pistol brakes down it is stamped with 770. It is double action and has a safety just above the grip. First time I have seen a safety on a revolver before. Sorry this is so long. Thanks for you patience.

The Mk IV Webley was a standard commercial pistol, although some were used in WWII by the British armed forces as a substitute standard, the standard being the somewhat similar Enfield revolver. They are good solid revolvers, but should be limited to .38 S&W cartridges and pressure levels.

It may have been factory nickel plated, as some civilian guns were; IMHO, plating detracts from value unless absolutely perfect.

The BNP and the other markings are the standard British commercial proof marks, which include the caliber, cartridge case length (.767"), and the working pressure in (long) tons per square inch (the [ ]" symbol). (Later changed to atmospheres per square centimeter, but by that time Webley was not making handguns.)

The gun did not originally have a safety; it was put on to satisfy the absurd U.S. import requirements.

Jim

Thanks Jim, can you give me any links to getting more info? Is there a site i can go to to find out about what yr this pistol was made? Or what it is worth?

BNP means British Nitro Proof. The 3 1/2 tons is what it proofed at. It's definitely a .38 S&W.
"...First time I have seen a safety on a revolver before..." Likely be the last time too. Unless you come across a Webley Scott 'B' series in .32 S&W. They have one too.
Here's some info with production dates. http://www.pettsons.net/mkIV_38.html

Actually, BNP means Birmingham Nitro Proof, meaning the gun was proved at the Birmingham (as opposed to London) Proof House.
I checked the only reference I have on the subject, Chamberlain and Taylerson's "Revolvers of the British Services" and they have no information on production dates for the Webley .38 other than those taken into service were post 1939.
JT

Thanks guys you have all been most helpful. This seems to be a really good place to hangout. I think I could learn a lot here. Thanks again.
Johnny O.

I stand corrected on the safety; some police purchasers of the Mk IV wanted a safety and Webley & Scott obliged. So the gun in question may have a factory safety, although the ones I have seen with safeties all had a rather crude one installed by the importer to meet U.S. requirements.

Jim

I checked my Blue Book (last years) and he gives a top price of $900. Wow! I might sell mine. I see them at gun shows for around $200 in very good condition, but if you want to sell it and can get $900, go for it. (There is a sucker....)

Jim

Back