looking for ideas...pump action 12Ga

k511

so, i gave my brother my beloved 60's Remington Wingmaster,,,my "Go-To" upland shotgun when i wanted to use a pump...now im in search of a replacement. I went and looked at the current Remington wingmaster offerings and i just wasnt impressed, my 60's model was in a whole other ballpark IMHO in terms of fit and finish... the other day i went and looked at a Browning BPS, very nice, but pretty heavy, and the seller wanted a little too much for what it was...
Anyhow...shoot me some ideas...I am looking for a 12Ga pump shotgun for my upland needs...money not really an issue, i would like to stay under 1K unless i "fall in love"..

Look at another Wingmaster; not an Express. Other than a few cosmetic changes I see zero differences, and the parts still interchange.

Not knocking the quality or fit and finish of the new Ithacas, as I have been in their plant on a tour and seen how they are built. they are the finest, most precise built pump gun made. precision and quality is built in at every step. they are made on new (or newer) top of the line CNC machinery and if a problem gets out the door, they do stand behind their product. (and yes occasionally a problem child has slipped out).

but

check the weight, a 12ga weighs 7.6lbs

their guns are the heaviest Ithaca 37's built to date, due to the steel alloy used and thickness of the barrels. They are even heavier than my 1996 built 12ga.

however if totin' 7+ lbs around the woods doesn't bother you, you will absolutely not be disappointed

another option would be to get a mid 60's vintage Ithaca with either a field or vent rib barrel (it would strictly be 2 3/4" shells) and send it to Briley to have choke tubes put in, this option would keep you under 650/700 ish as you can find some really really nice used 12ga Ithacas on the market.

16's and 20's are typically a little pricier and not so many as 12's.

I switched over to a 16ga for rabbit, squirrel and other upland hunting due to the weight factor.

Have always loved the Wingmaster and the older Ithaca 37's as well. Have not held the newer 37's so can't comment on them.

Model 12

Winchester made over 2 million model 12's. My ideal upland pump gun would be a straight grip 16 gauge choked modified. The straight grip stocks are available from high plains gunstocks. Our own Mike Orlen could ream out a full choked gun, as they are the easiest to find.

I think a guy could have an ideal steel and walnut upland 16 gauge for under 600.00 bucks all in. One you could hand down to your grandkids.

The 16 gauge model 12 was built on the 20 gauge frame, light and lively, nothing points like a M12.

There is also the lightweight 12 gauge model 12, if it has to be 12 gauge.

There are tons of great Model 12's out there.

Browning BPS - Hunter model with a 26" or 28" ( I'd pick the 28" ) is my choice.

Safety is on the tang on top ---makes shooting with gloves easier.

Bottom ejection is a plus....good for lefties and right handed shooters.

Solid and smooth action ...new in my area they're around $ 625....and its a lot of gun for the money ( better than the 870 Wingmaster in my opinion ) - although the Wingmaster would probably be my 2nd choice.

Having used different 37s for the past 25 years, I highly recommend them. Haven't had the opportunity to handle any of the new ones made in Sandusky, but betting they'll handle as well as the older models.

k511 - Is there a reason why you would want to get a updated pump? That 60's Wingmaster you have is already a better gun in terms of quality. Or are you just looking for something newer? Not trying to get on your nerves or anything, I personally think you are better off with maybe a refresh of the Wingmaster you have.

Hoghunting the new Model 37's handle superbly, they function smooth and shoot verrrry well indeed. The guns are smooth enough to be able to do the bottom feed load.

I shot at the Ithaca Gathering in June of last year. The guy's used all different models of Ithaca's and the Ithaca staff brought new guns for us to shoot.

Granted using a trap gun on sporting clays course isn't the best combination, but we were out to have fun.

You might want to look for an older 12ga Ithaca M37 Featherweight - the 12ga's commonly sell for about $350 in excellent/used condition.

I have an older, scaled-frame 20ga Ithaca M37 Deluxe Deerslayer, with an xtra 28" bird bbl that handles well.

Now I see why they aren't out here on the West Coast. They will be ALL sold before they get out here. If they are half as good as they look, they will be great shotguns.

Will 40/60 rib interchange with the 30/70 rib on the Trap model?

I WANT ONE!:cool:

At the drop of a hat the Ithaca lovers jump all over every opportunity to push their choice. I would like to point out that the bottom loading of the Ithaca is quite different, and many/most prefer single side loading thru the ejection port. Not saying the Ithaca doesn't work, but it is not the holy grail, it is after all just another pump gun. And the manufacturing has stopped twice because of their inability to sell enough to remain profitable against the competition.
The Model 12 is gone for the same reason.
Don't worry about how it's made; worry about if it works, and fits you, and you can hit what you are shooting at with it. If you love them that's fine, but don't try to say it will do anything a Mossberg or a Remington won't do, unless you are one of those who gets the warm fuzzies over the though of machined and fitted parts.
I freely admit I am one of those who does not like the Ithacas, or the Model 12s. Just never liked the feel of them, and I have seen way too many needing the gun doctor. I am not wild about the loading requirements of the BPS either, but I did have 3 of them that never missed a beat.

I recently picked up a 1956 Wingmaster from one of the auction sites for a touch under $400.

Beautiful gun. No comparison to the current stuff. Reliable as an anvil.

mxsailor...i have several upland guns (semi-auto, SxS, and O/U's) but my wingmaster was my only pump that served that purpose...i gave the wingmaster to my brother for his wedding gift,,he always wanted it...

I got to check out a model 12 today,,i really liked the platform, the particular one they had was not up to my standards of condition...but i liked the plat form, ill continue to be on the lookout for a nice one

have not been able to get my hands on a m37 yet...closest one is about 70 miles,,probably make the trip this weekend,,if i like it after i get my hands on it ill probably order a new M37 featherweight

Keep an eye out for a 16 gauge Model 12. Gunbroker prices on these are nuts. Everyone thinks they have a "rare collectible"

You should be able to pick up a decent 16 gauge plain barrel for 400 bucks or so. Plenty of room to have the choke reamed and a nice straight grip stock.

Carries like a 20, hits like a 12 was never more true. The M12 16 gauge was built on the 20 gauge frame. Sweet upland pump.

Back