looking for holster online

Justin62882

Inactive
I'm Looking for a chest holster for hunting sitting down in a treestand for deer season. More than likely a 6.5 inch ruger blackhawk 357. I'm having a hard time finding one for a 6.5 inch barrel. Any suggestions or what you guys recommend? Thanks.

Galco Kodiak. It will fit a longer barrel. Are you trying to find one exact length? You might need a custom job or to shorten one from off the shelf.

El Paso Saddlery makes some good "tanker" style rigs but they're pricey...and I'll agree that a chest rig will work well in a deer stand, inside or outside your hunting togs.

I carried a S&W M15 .38 special in a belt holster for a part of my first tour in Vietnam, in 1970; but quickly found that it hung up on various parts of the aircraft's cockpit, as well as bunker and slit trench walls.

I switched to an army issue "tanker" rig which worked equally well with the Smith, a 1911A1 and eventually, the Browning Hi-Power that accompanied me day and night. The cross chest carry position, kept the gun out of my way while flying, walking, running or even in the latrine. The only inconvenient time was low crawling while under fire. Not much of that going on anymore, at least here in KY, so I'd say it'd be a good choice for you in your stand, where concealment is not a factor.

HTH's Rod

Last edited:
I had Lobo Gun Leather make a left handed holster
So I could carry my 686 + 3” 357 in
magnum revolver & it came out pretty good
It took about 4.5 weeks to get it. Check out
their web site. It might work for you. Good luck!

El Paso Saddlery makes some good "tanker" style rigs but they're pricey...and I'll agree that a chest rig will work well in a deer stand, inside or outside your hunting togs.
I've used EPS Cross Draws for my 7 Blackhawks. Can sit in a car or a stand easily (including 7.5" SBH. If you're set on a Tanker style, can't beat anything El Paso.

I have used the Pistol Packaging bandito shoulder belt and holster for a lot of years for Ruger Redhawk 44 mag 7 1/2 barrel,S&W M29 5 1/2 44 mag and a Ruger 5 inch 357 mag vaquaro all on the same bandlaro belt.Just snap off in holster and snap on thr next on.The S&W and vaquaro will fit the same holster.They have a screw on bullet loop for exsra ten cartriges.The price is very reasonable.It's a hard one to beat.

I just ordered my second tanker from El Paso Saddlery for my Ruger Alaskan. The Galco OWB holster I started with works but not as well as I hoped. At $120 I wouldn't call their tankers pricey, I'd say they were a good value considering the quality.

Back