Looking for Hakim/Ljungman owners and those who know some.

B Shipley

I wanted to know about the reliability of these guns, which is kinda late, since I just sent some $$$ away for a Ljungman.

In some of the back posts I've read from the past few months, it appears that Hakims break often, and no real info on Ljungmans.

Also, let me know if they or a friend who has one would be willing to part with a broken one of these guns for a song (I hope!).

I don't know about breaking, but I have fired both. The Ljungman is reported to have a bad habit of firing out of battery, which is rather a bad habit to have.

I had one do so and the result was rather interesting - broken stock, bent receiver, magazine blown out and destroyed, receiver cover blown off, trigger housing bent. No injuries, but then the adjacent benches were not in use.

The bullet went into a tight group, so the accuracy was OK. I have never had a Hakim do that.

They are nice collector's items, and I kept both the (repaired) Ljungman and the Hakim, but I have not fired either after the Ljungman disassembled itself.

Jim

Does the rate of fire affect the gun's firing out of battery (too fast?)?

BTW, where did you get a replacement mag and how does one repair a bent receiver?

What ammo did you use? These guns are supposed to react very badly to too hot or even hot ammo.

[This message has been edited by B Shipley (edited May 27, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by B Shipley (edited May 27, 2000).]

I know three guys who have Hakims. They've all broken several firing pins in them. They've all become closet queens as none of them are shot anymore. One of the guys made up some steel firing pins as the originals were very brittle. These seemed to work okay but he still wasn't overly happy with the firearm.
They all bought these back when they were selling for under $100 around here. Sort of the same situation as the SKS had later on.

Well, if they want to get rid of them, let me know.

I hope that Ljungmans are better, at least with milsurp and light loads.

I've seen some posts on slamfires on the Swede boards, but seating the primer properly is supposed to fix these.

I've only had peripheral experience with the AG42, but a fair amount with the Hakim.

I rather like the Hakim. It's no FN49, but the one example I've had experience with has been a pretty good reliable shooter.

Hi, B. Shipley,

The ammo was some that was probably too hot, but my analysis was out of battery firing, not hot ammo. I have also heard of this with other Ljungmans, perhaps the slam fire you mention.

At the time this happened, there had been some parts kits brought in*, and I was able to straighten the receiver ("the big hammer method") and put in the new parts (which included a magazine). I have fired it once since, just to be sure the repair had not left it more dangerous.

*I was told at the time that BATF would not let the rifles be imported because of the firing out of battery and that they considered them dangerous. Apparently that changed later.

Jim

I was just thinking that perhaps bad firing pin springs, along with hot ammo and the concommitant increase in bolt velocity could cause the firing pin to protrude or impart sufficient inertia that it slams forward into the round as it is stripped from the mag.

If I ever get around to it, I am going to really anlayze that action and see what I can find. Just not high on my list at the moment.

Jim

Back