Looking for good powder

hdtramp

Inactive
I just recieved 2000 115gr. rn fmj 9mm rounds from Montana Gold. Shooting a Beretta PX Storm subcompact and looking for a good powder since my HP-38 isn't recommended Any info would be appreciated, what works for you guys? Thanks.

Why wasn't your HP-38 recommended? Winchester 231 is the same powder as Hodgdon HP-38, so be careful when you select another powder.

I've been using Power Pistol for 115gr and 124gr rounds in my 9mm. I found it burns pretty clean, but does produce a slight muzzle flash:) . It works well in both my Glock 19 and my Springfield XDS.

I use Winchester 231/HP-38 for 9mm (as well as for .45 ACP). I'm perfectly satisfied with it. Who says HP-38 isn't recommended for 9mm?

The Hodgdon/Winchester on-line loading data includes 231/HP-38 for 9mm.

Nosler includes data for Winchester 231 in 9mm: https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/9mm-luger-parabellum/

Here's a site that shows both 231 and HP-38 for several bullet weights in 9mm. (I view this one with extreme caution, because Win 231 and HP-38 ARE the same powder, but this site shows widely different data for them with the same bullet weights): http://www.reloadammo.com/9mloads.htm

Here's an article on loading heavy bullets in 9mm, and it includes Win231 data: https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/reloading-heavy-bullets-in-9mm-luger/99514

I've been a VV N340 convert for a few years now. It is absolutely the cleanest powder if have used in the 9mm and 45 ACP. It provides a full case fill and has no muzzle flash.

I've used mostly Berry's plated in my 9MMS loads. For them I have used several Accurate powders, (2,5,&7) as well as Bullseye, 231, BE-86 all with good to great accuracy. I've also tried other powders like Silhouette and Unique but fount them better suited for the heavier bullets.

My loads are usually at or just above the starting loads due to the plated bullets. I've also used the same powders for home cast with equally good results. I run a P226 and a P320 and both function just fine with all loads tried. Of them all I would say that Bullseye and AA7 comprise the majority of my shooting needs.

I just recieved 2000 115gr. rn fmj 9mm rounds from Montana Gold. Shooting a Beretta PX Storm subcompact and looking for a good powder since my HP-38 isn't recommended Any info would be appreciated, what works for you guys? Thanks.

231/HP38 is an excellent powder for anything from light to max loads with 115gr jacketed bullets like your FMJs.

It works fine with plated bullets also.

I can't imagine why someone would tell you it isn't recommended.

I will polish this apple.
HP 38/Win231 is one of the more versatile powders out there, there is a wide array of data from 25 acp all the way up to 44 special.
Not many powders can do that, maybe unique would be another.

For target work, Alliant Sport Pistol hands down! Have ran close to 10 LBS of Sport Pistol powder and has worked great in .45 ACP, .40 S&W .38 special and 9mm. It's one of the cleanest powders I've ever tried.

Nothing wrong with HP-38/231. Use it if you have it. My go to powders are Clays and 700-X. Titegroup would work well, I have eliminated it from my inventory for reasons I'm not going to get into. Check Hodgdens site for all the info you need.

"...HP-38 isn't recommended..." Somebody is confused. There's jacketed HP-38 data on Hodgdon's site. Boat load of other Hodgdon powders too.
Only ever used cast bullet with Bullseye in my Inglis BHP though.

As soon as I read 115gn/9mm, W231/HP38 was the first propellant that crossed my mind.

Another great choice would be TiteGroup. It's a propellant that doesn't suit much of my load style; but this purpose is right in its wheelhouse. In this application, it would run really clean and consistent.

I've been toying with BE-86 a bit the last few months, and I suspect it would do well here too. Would deliver more velocity than TG.

Can't forget AA#2. Great stuff. Meters second to none.

AA#5 would be a good choice too, if you want the bullets to go faster than needed for the range.

If you want the bullets to go really fast, then load 'em up with Power Pistol. This stuff has become one of my favorites. I load a lot of old duffer target 38 wadcutters these days; but anytime I want to go hard and fast, Power Pistol almost always gets the call (save for full-throttle magnum stuff).

Use the data for W231 ... HP38 and W231 are the same powder ....sold by different companies .
Like Red Dot and Promo ... they are the same powder and use the same data

I'm using TiteGroup now, and have been happy with it.
Fast-burning powders, that provide moderate velocities at low cost, are my usual choice.

Why wouldn't HP38 work? It's the same as 231 pretty much. I have found Universal Clays to be outstanding in 9mm with 115 grain for full power loads. Very clean, very consistent and low flash. AA#7 is for subguns and too flashy in pistols but fun if that's what you want. You probably could also use unique. Accurate #5 may also be worth a look. 9mm works best with mid range powder. 231 is just middle of the road and works well in most any pistol caliber but not always at full power. rc

Back