Looking for good all caliber firearm cleaning kit, suggestions?

Mantis

I have been looking for a good kit to clean my pistols and rifles. I am having a hard time finding a good kit. I have used the steel rod kits and the rods bend too easy. I have a friend who has a kit for pistols and rifles that used a pull through method of cleaning that i really like (I would ask my buddy but he is in Saudi for 3 months). No rods just a long, thin plastic coated cable. The kit was also vey small and easy to store. Any one suggest something similar?

Sounds like your friend had the Otis kit. I have one and it's pretty good and very portable.
See, www.otisgun.com for more info.
BTW, I got my set-up thru Springfield, with the coupon I got when I bought my "Loaded".

Yep..OTIS. The military paid a fortune for the things. They are interesting, but a bit pricey. I'd tried all types of cleaning kits and finally went back to the one I trusted the most...an USGI issue M16 cleaning kit. I also have one for the M60 when I do heavy duty jobs and a solid one peice rod for cleaning pistols. All USGI issue.

If you are bending all steel rods you might want to examine your cleaning techniques!:D

Good Shooting
RED

The one thing that bugs me about the otis cleaning system, it seems you have to buy their patches..

Or is it possible to use something else? I hate getting snared into propriatory stuff....

Been using a bore snake for quick at range cleaning..love it.

I use lentless shop towels to replace the patches in most kits. They are soft and are a great replacement. You should be able to find them at a local auto parts store and they are usually blue. Are bore snakes for one size bore or do they cover a few calibers close to their size?

Yeah, Otis does set it up so that their patch is what you gotta use, but I bought a whole bunch at once, they'll last a while.
You can use other patches too, just need to cut a slit to do so.
I have more than one cleaning system, more than one cleaning and lubing product, more than one... well, you get the idea:rolleyes:
Don't have a boresnake yet, but I'm sure they'll soon be crawling in my front door, in a variety of calibers;)

I prefer either coated Dewey rods, or uncoated Pro-Shot. Nice bearings in the handles. I use a pair - one of the jag, and one for brush.

Use archery pliers to tighten the jag and the brush.

I like the short ones for handgun use. But frankly, unless you shoot a lot of lead, a bore snake should work just fine.

Kleen-Bore's AllGun cleaning kit is thorough. They also have a compact version called the PocKit. Its available all over.

Back