Looking for good .22 revolver

Kevin in IN

Hi guys, I'm looking for a good .22 revolver for plinking and a good learning tool for my sons. What is your opinions about the revolvers now available? For the money Taurus looks to be the top choice, but how is it's accuracy? Anyone own or shoot one before? Any imput would be much appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

Kevin,

Don't know about the Tauri .22's, but if you can find a good deal on a used K-22 you won't regret it (the older the better in MY book) although a 617 with a 10 shot steel cylinder wouldn't be bad either. There was a real nice .22 Diamondback for sale locally, but it's gone (about an hour after it hit the case!)

Good evening sir,

I think all should embrace plinking activies with their son and can't think of a better gun than a good .22 revolver. I laud you with high praise for your thoughtful and character building efforts. Since these are the memories we cherish for enternity, I urge you to consider other models which, all be they slightly more expensive, will serve you well over many generations, not to mention a priceless heirloom. While the Taurus is certainly a good gun, I offer any of the Ruger revolvers for your thoughtful consideration. I have several variants of the Ruger SP101 (double action) and the Single Six (single action)and both well met and exceed your expectations. These are high quality, rugged products upon which you can solidly depend. You just have to shop around. Below, I found a SP101 with the 2+ inch barrel for $225 on the Gunsamerica site. The other day I bought a stainless Single Six for $185. Only offered to illustrate the point that good deals await for the diligent shopper. Just because they are slightly used doesn't mean they are worthless. Few brides were so virtuous prior to marriage and it sure didn't spoil the fun! ;o) Good shooting, Docbones

SP101 22 CHEAP $225.00
HAVE A RUGER SP101 22CAL 2 3/4" STAINLESS LIKE NEW NO BOX
GunsAmerica #976086719
Name: D&L SHOOTING SUPPLIES
Area Code: 401 FFL Dealer: Yes

Kevin

I too applaud you teaching your sons to shoot and respect firearms.
I prefer Dan Wesson revolvers but a new shooter such as your sons may not like them. In .22 cal. they tend to be muzzle heavy past a 4" barrel. As previously recommended a used S&W Model 17 or 617 would be an excellent choice. Another very good choice might be a Ruger Single Six. They come with the .22 mag cylinder and are great first handguns.
Along the same lines is the Ruger Bearcat.
I will not fault a Taurus revolver, I'm sure they are mechanically sound. That said any Taurus revolver I have shot regardless of caliber has had a trigger begging for a visit to the gunsmith.
Take Care and enjoy.

Thanks Guys! After I wrote this post I started entertaining the thought of a good used Smith, Colt, or Ruger. I wasn't thinking clearly about my options and only thought about the "new gun" option. I have to agree that a used high quality revolver would be a better option. Now I'll have to shop around and see if I can find a good deal, as you have. I REALLY like Ruger, though I've never owned one myself. I first thought about the Single Six, but began talking myself out of a single action due to the loading and unloading aspect. Speeking of Rugers, are their double actions a little muzzle heavy when you get out to 4"? They look as though they would be. Well thanks again and if anyone has any other input I'd appreciate it. Never enough info or opinions. Thanks Kevin

Kevin,
The four inch SP101 that Ruger still sells is certainly muzzle heavy, which some prefer and others do not. I just returned from the range, having given my snubby SP101 a thorough work out and love it. It is certainly a little heavier but it offers little if any felt recoil. Ruger recently discontinued a four inch model, which had a lighter barrel (only half the underlug). There is one for sale in the current Gun List but I do not remember the price. On my own gun, I swapped the factory springs with some reduced Wolff springs and netted a smoother DA pull and a sweet SA letoff. This gun is more accurate than it has a right to be. Good luck, Docbones

H&R makes a nice flip-top 9 shot. Less than $200.00.
Heritage Arms makes a sngl action .22/.22 mag. for $120.00.
Ruger sngl 6 is a good one.
There are alot of .22 calibers out there.

I say buy one of each. :D

As you can see, there are several fine choice's available.
For my money, I would tend to take sw627pc's advice, and
seek out a pre-agreement Smith & Wesson model 17, or the
model 18. The 17 is a 6" barrel, K-frame target "Combat
Masterpiece"; it's counterpart in stainless steel is the
model 617. The model 18 is a 4" barrel version of the same
weapon; which is not available in stainless.:( My second
choice, would be the Colt Diamondback which is on the discontinued list; and highly sought after by collector's,
thus driving the price out-of-sight!!!:D:)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Thanks Ala Dan, Do you know how many rounds the 17/18 hold? And what about the model 63? A J frame .22 looks pretty nice also, especially for small hands. I gather it doesn't hold as many as the K frames. How long has it been discontinued? Well once again you guys really come through. Thanks for the imput and don't hesitate to leave your opinion or advice. Thanks again, Kevin

A while back I got my wife a S&W Model 317 Kit Gun. It is light weight and holds 8 rounds with a 3" barrel and adjustable sights. It seems pretty accurate, too, as I can shoot (admittedly fairly large) steel targets at 50 yds with it. Recoil is negligable.

Downsides: You may not be happy with S&W, a bit pricey since it's in the lightweight class, don't know how rugged it is compared to, say, a Ruger.

Sometime soon I'll be taking my daughter to shoot with this gun, although what she REALLY wants to shoot is my stainless Ruger GP-100 357 mag with a 4" barrel.

Back