looking for cases or ammo

judgecolt6

Inactive
I've just picked up a 1895 in 30-03 and a 1916 256 Newton. Would like to get brass or ammo for both, if not too rare then I would load it and keep the correct head stamp, or if rare then I'd just like to have some as a companion for each rifle.

Thanks!

You should have no problem find .30-30.

.256 Newton is another matter. I don't know anyone making it commercially. afaik the cartridges are collectible themselves.
So you're looking at buying the ammo piecemeal.

CowTowner, thanks for the links. I know I can make 30-03 from, say, 280 rem, and the 256 from something like the 25-06, but I'm after the correct headstamp if possible.

Buzzcook, by the piece is fine, I know it may take some time. The 30-03 is of particular interest.

You can fire .30-'06 in the .30-'03 with no problems as the .30-'06 case is shorter than the .30-'03.

(Before someone questions this, I and others I know have routinely fired .30-'06 from Model 1895 Winchesters in .30-'03 - it was a common caliber in that rifle - with no problems. It might mean some erosion at the front of the chamber neck after thousands of rounds, but that erosion would come anyway, just further forward.)

Jim

Last edited:
Scimmia, thanks for the link, I bookmarked it immediately. Need to confirm the headstamp with them.

James K, I had heard that, however the extra jump to the lands (the original 220 grn. was long, and the longer case length) I'm sure diminishes accuracy. I want to use this thing. I'd like to be able to dump anything within, say 150/200 yds. I have not tried it, though. I have some 180's laying around that I could cycle through it as a range test.

Thanks again guys.

I'm probably wrong here, but isn't the 06, in 30-06 just the year the shell was created/invented? So the 30-03 was invented in 1903?

You are correct psychopuppy1. The .30-03 was supposed to replace the .30-40 Krag but it had issues and then the .30-06 was developed a few years later and the rest is history.

The .30-03 was actually the US service cartridge for several years, and was itself a refinement of an even earlier .30-01 cartridge, which had all of the dimensions of the .30-03 except for a much thicker rim.

Two things happened that resulted in the case being reduced in length slightly (neck length):

1. Adoption of the lighter, much shorter, pointed "spitzer" bullet, mirroring advances in Germany and France, and

2. Continuing development and refinement of the early smokeless powders.

.30-03 ammunition was loaded commercially at least into the 1930s. Winchester used the case as the parent for the .270 Winchester round, so if necessary, .270 cases can be expanded to .30 caliber and used successfully. They may be just a tad short, but they'll be a better option than a .30-06 case.

Back