Looking for AR-15 scope

sfields1

Inactive
I am looking for a handle mounted scope for my AR-15. What is the best 4X scope? Should I get a red dot? It the Trijicon ACOG worth the price?

sfields1,

Are you going for accuracy, or something to aid you in rapid firing and fast target aquisition?

I have a Colt 4x21 RF on my Bushmaster Dissapator for an "urban sniper" setup, and I have a Taso ProPoint 3 on my Bushmaster M4 for my "urban rifle" setup.

I have pictures and brief evalutaions of the Colt 4x21 RF and ProPoint 3 on my web page below.

Click the "MY AR15 Dissapator" button to see the Colt 4x21 RF and click the "MY AR15 M4" button to see the Tasco ProPoint 3.

Good luck on your search.

Unicron,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I am looking for fast target acquisition.

I am came across a used Colt 4X that looked like a great scope. I was told that would only fit an older handle.

Do you know anything about Trijicon ACOG scopes?

steve

sfields,

That Trijicon ACOG would be my top choice if it didn't cost as much as my AR15. I would think that that unit is the ultimate combat scope/optic. You have scope/optic combinations of all worlds...

-4x Scope
-Illuminated Retical
-Luminescent Sights (on top of the unit)
-Iron Sight Use Capability

ta01-nsn.jpg

If you can afford it...grab one. From the people that have it, they rave and brag about that scope/optic (they obviously love it). I have yet to find a job that pays enough to buy nice toys like this one. Maybe when I graduate in December.

If you are just looking for fast target aquisition and don't want to break the bank...get a good red dot optic. I love mine almost more than the AR itself. $300 will get you an AimPoint or an ACOG Reflex (I would choose the AimPoint over the Reflex). $100 will get you a ProPoint...they work just as well as the Aimpoint and Reflex's, but you can destroy 3 of them before equalling the cost of destroying one AimPoint or Reflex.

Good luck on your search and good shooting.

http://members.xoom.com/urbansniper/home.html

I use a heavy barrel "Flat-Top" AR for Varmint & target. Thus, my primary scope is a 6.5x20 Leupold on a B-Square mount from Brownells. I can switch to another scope mount or the Carry Handle in seconds. BTW: I have yet to have any trouble with my Zero when switching back & forth.

You did say 4X however I suggest you seriously consider the AMT 5x33 Professional.

This scope has the reticle etched into the lenses - not suspended wire, bullet drop compensation for the 5.56 55gr round out to 500 yds., a 10 setting illuminated reticle, better light gathering ability than a 40mm Leopould - and the price is $200-$225.

Quite an impressive scope.

CMOS

I was kicking around the same question recently. My choices were the ACOG 3.5x35 with the BAC, the Aimpoint Comp ML, and the Shepherd Scope. My main concern was quick target aquisition, with range finding(RF) and bullet drop compensation(BDC) as a bonus. I ended up getting the ACOG for a couple of reasons. The Aimpoint Comp ML although much cheaper needs batteries. As a "survival" optic, batteries might be few and far between. Also, there is no RF or BDC built in.(also electronics can and do break).
The Shepherd has a reputation of being extremely robust, accurate, and has the RF and BDC built in. The problem with the Shepherd IMHO is that like most scopes, it does not allow for rapid target aquisition. But if you want to "reach out and touch someone" at GREAT DISTANCES, this would be my choice.
I ended up getting the ACOG TA11 for many reasons: it fits the AR handle perfectly. It has a channel through it's bottom so you can still use the iron sights if necessary. It has the RF and BDC (out to 800 yards), a bright red "donut" display that adjusts to the ambient light(the donut is brilliant in any sun light), as well as tritium for use in low light conditions. It also allows you to use 2 eye open sighting which gives you a better view of what's going on "out there". It's also shock proof waterproof, etc. The MSRP is around $1300 US, but i've seen them for as low as $800. Botach http://www.botach.com/ has them on sale for this price right now. Hope this info helps!!!
Andy

Back