Looking for any information on a STI LS .40 compact

Opie-IN

Saw one for sale in the want ads for $625, was curious as I thought these were several thousand dollar guns. any pic links, or info about these would be appreciated.

When these pistols were released one of the forum members purchased one. He initially purchased the LS-40 and was pleased with the fit and finish. We got a dialog started as I was interested in the gun myself.
He did say that recoil was pretty stout in the little gun. But the most important thing was the gun wasn't reliable. I can't remember the exact nature of the malfunctions, but the gun just wouldn't run right. He sent it back to STI a couple of times and they couldn't manage to get it right so they finally ended up swapping his LS-40 for the LS-9. He's been a happy camper ever since.
You can get additional information from STI's web site, but I think the MSRP was right around $750.

http://www.stiguns.com

Mark / FL

Yup. That be me Mark. Last I heard, STI had stopped releasing any more new LS-40s to the public until they got this thing ironed out. Failure to feed issues are rampant with this gun. Take a look over in the STI forum on http://www.1911forums.com . Serch back for about 90 days and you will see the complete description of my problems. You could use the search featrue on the handgun forums here for LS-40 and see what you wind. I posted quite a bit about it here too.

The 9 has been great. But the 40 is ust a non-shooter.

Bubba

Hey Bubba,

I think I'd still be interested in the LS-40 if they can make it right. But I can't see going to the LS-9 cause my Kahr K9 will do practicaly anything the LS-9 could do at a bit over half the cost of the LS-9.

BTW, What kind of carry gear did you purchase for the LS?

Mark

I wound up with a Lou Alesi Talon Plus for strong side carry and an Action Direct chest band sholder rig for deep concealment. I find about the only time I carry the little LS-9 is when I can't carry the Wilson CQB. Normally this has more to do with weather and/or how secure the area may be that I might be traveling that day. I won't devulge the specifics, but there are times I simply can NOT afford to be made as carrying. I can't take any chances. But I am NOT about to be unarmed. The LS-9 in that action direct rig allows me to go virtualy anywhere in this situation and no one has a single clue that I am still armed. I just have to be a bit careful of how I hug any SYT that might be overjoyed at seeing me again. :D (ok ok.. SYT = sweet young thing) Left arm of the hug goes under her right arm so her arm winds up around my neck, not where she might bump the pistol. No one the wiser. ;)

I have very dim hopes they will ever work out the .40. Maybe it IS a mag problem. But there was just too much cartridge in that little frame in my opinion. And it was a BEAR to shoot. My normal practice session is between 250 and 300 rounds of ball .45. With another 50-100 of .38 Super FMJ out of a lightweight Commander. I regularly shoot Georgia Arms Deer Stopper .357 rounds out of my Python. I have NO problem with recoil. But that LS-40 almost beat me to death. 50 rounds of practice was about all I could handle. And you could visably see the web of my hand change color.

The LS-9 is just a lot of fun. I still am not sure I would put it in the 100% catagory. I reserve that for the Les Baer TRS and the Wilson CQB. But for what I use the LS-9, it does a super job.

Bubba

Back