Looking for an anatomy book

saands

Every once in a while I get the opportunity to hunt somewhere that has a new type of game for me. This year the wild turkeys are invading my county (Sonoma in No. CA) and I have the rights to 5 acres of apples and turkeys. Due to their rapid population expansion, the Dept of Fish and Game has allowed air guns of .20 cal and greater. The owner didn't like the noise that the 12 GA made last year, so this year, the deal is a scoped .22 cal air rifle. These buggers are TOUGH, so I will need to place the shot so that it just turns out the lights. I'm confident enough to put the shot on a dime ... but where is the dime on the turkey? I've been searching unsucessfully for a book that has anatomic details of many different type of game animals. Pigs and deer have pretty easily located lung heart areas, but I don't know if their brains are fore or aft, high or low ... these turkeys are even more difficult, as they carry so many feathers, I would only be guessing about where their spine, ribs, lungs and heart might be. It seems like a head shot is called for ... but an illustrated book would be nice. Anyone know of such a book ... "Comparative Anatomy for Hunters ... How to Turn the Lights Out on Any Game Species" is the one I'm looking for.

Thanks,
saands

Turkey are severely tough to TKO with a body hit. Frankly, I'd go for head shots with anything (handguns included) other than a rifle.

Giz

hey this might help

i was looking at www.ammoman.com and found a turkey target with vitals in neck shown-may help a bit-this is found on ammoman.com so i am not taking credt so u know ;)

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 45
Thanks Joseph:
The turkey was VERY cool ... the squirrel was cute, and would make a good target, but not so informative. Keep 'em coming!
Thanks,
Saands

no problem

no problem lol-i am gonna use the squirrel 1 for sure but not the turkey now-might in a few years- is taht what u were wanting in the turkey target?-the spinal cord and the brain

Actually, I was hoping for a collection of drawings that show the vital organs (ideally more than the spine and brain) for a whole variety of animals ... basically a reference to answer questions like: "If a dog gets into the sheep, where is his 'boiler room'?" ... but the turkey target gets me through the next challenge ... so again: Thank you!
Saands

Forget body shots on turkeys with an air rifle. Even .22LR from rifles at around 10 yards isn't capable as I had the bad experience to witness. :( I certainly would have thought a .22LR would at the very least "break one down" - doesn't (didn't) happen.

Head shot, or break the neck, is the only way to take one of these very tough birds down using single projectiles.

Far as mammals go, on a broadside shot, put a suitable bullet right behind the elbow joint into the chest & you'll take 'em through both lungs & likely, the heart.

Labgrade ... Do you mean right behind the shoulder? The "elbow" seems a little low ... on a moose I think there is only air down there ;)
That seems like a good rule of thumb though.

Thanks,
Saands

Nah. Mooseses have high shoulders & ya might just catch air. ;)

Basically, if a critter's standing still & legs at normal position, shoot just behind the leg & about 1/3 up from the bottom of chest - decent enough rule of thumb.

Deer/elk, etc.'s heart's all but right at the point of the elbow - close enough anyways to make no nevermind.

Those were EXCEPTIONAL!!!! Thank you so much for the lead. I wrote them an e-mail to see if the Turkey and Whitetail versions that they have in print are also available in PDF format.

Thanks again,
Saands

Back