Looking for an accomplice

viesczy

Actually, I'm really looking for advice, but as the saying goes "those seeking advice are only seeking an accomplice". :D

I am in the mood for a beater 9mm. I ain't talking P210 or anything costly, just something to run inexpensive surplus ammo through its metallic throat.

I have been looking at the surplus HP clones.

What's everyone's opinion of the FEG SA HP pistols? Those FM version of the HP? Or even those Arcus HP clones.

There's a local gun shop that has the FMs for like $204. I have been fingering that the FEGs should be in the neighborhood of $250-280. I know that Century Arms has the Arcus 94s for $239, so with shipping and dealer mark up again about $280.

They (century arms) are the ones who got me a needin' a 9mm clone and that compact 4" barrel Arcus duo tone would be a sweet thing to own! But they are just a shade off of the regular HP shape and there *might* be holster issues.

Thanks for being an accomplice, I mean the advice! :D

Derek

They all sound good to me. The HP is a truly great design.

Personal experience: I bought an FEG SA HP clone (PJK 9HP) 1.5 years ago. Very reliable and accurate. A few weeks ago, the extractor chipped. This is after about 2k rounds. I blame it on my former fondness for steel-cased Wolf ammo. I had several get stuck in the tube, which is hard on the extractor. Now use brass exclusively.

Anyway, replaced the extractor & spring myself with parts from KBI. Flawless function again. I really enjoy shooting and carrying this pistol.

I just recently bought the FEG PJK 9HP. Fit and finish are *far* better than what I expected, and it's pretty accurate. I still want a real BHP "just because" :), but there's nothing wrong with the FEG.

HP Clone

Back before Christmas I purchased one of the FM clones. I believe to be ok for the money, I paid $209. for mine.
I've only had it to the range once and only about 75 rounds through with no problems. If you do a search on this you will find those old threads. Someone had posted that they put a lot of money in theirs and then the frame cracked. For certin they are not as nice as a real Browning.
I wanted an HP but didn't want to spend the big bucks before Christmas. For the money I paid I believe it was worth it ;)
Hope this helps :)

while I have no experiance with the HP clones for not much more you can get a ruger p89 for not much more. Now they are ugly but they are great for the purpose you describe.

Back