Looking for a sub-compact

2shots

pistol and came across a Taurus PT-111. I know that in many circles there's a prejudice against Brazilian handguns. I looked at Glocks, was unimpressed with the finish of Kel-Tecs, CZs seemed a bit too large and then handled the Taurus in 9mm. I have no quarrel with the 9mm and came away impressed by the feel of the Taurus. Would I be making a mistake in buying this pistol? At $325 it seems like a good deal. I shoot Government models, so know little about plastic-hybrid handguns.

You might want to look at Kahr pistols as well. I have an MK9 (surprise, surprise, right?) and am very happy with it. A tad heavy, but it disappears in the pocket or IWB. Many people have reported good luck with the P9 as well.

Taurus makes a pistol very similar to the Beretta 92FS, which I found to be of good quality. I don't know about the smaller pistols, but they have a pretty good rep.

But you definitely want to at least look at a Kahr. :)

I bought the Kel Tec. It's cheap, light, small, and holds 11 rounds of 9mm. I can't say anything about the other guns you mentioned, but I'd rather own an American made product than a Brazilian one. And if the American is about $100 less....

Look into the Llama subcompact in either 9MM or 45ACP. Quality firearm, heavy, and a good feel on a miniture 1911 style frame and slide. 45ACP holds 10 rounds, and I have a friend that can get them. They come in 3 different finishes parkerized, satin chrome, and 2 tone blue and satin chrome. He also sells a .32 smaller then the Kel Tech 40. If you want an e-mail addy let me know.

Karsten

Ummm...no

"At $325 it seems like a good deal."

The PT-111 is a knock-off of the Kel-Tec P11; I've tried three different PT-111s...each had a terrible trigger and was unreliable.

In fact, my favorite dealer refuses to carry them anymore; every single one he sold had to go back to the factory...and Taurus' customer service isn't even on the same planet as Kel-Tec's.

If you want pretty, buy the PT-111; if you want reliable, buy the P11. If you do your homework, you'll save $100 and have a much better pistol, IMNSHO.

I too suggest the Kahr series. My wife has the MK9, and I carry the P9 daily. I've heard great things about the Kel-Tec P11, but nothing but trouble from the P40.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with one point though... the Taurus is not a knockoff of the Kel-Tec. The Taurus is a knockoff of the Mini-Glock series. Unless I'm SADLY mistaken, the Taurus Millinium series came out shortly after the Mini-glocks, and BEFORE Kel-Tec. But I do agree that I'd look around. My mother in law has a PT111, and likes it, but she probably only fired it when she first bought it, and not much since.

I really don't like the Kel-Tec trigger, but I HATE the Taurus trigger 10X more... It's by far the WORST trigger I've ever pulled. I prefer the AMT DAO backup trigger to the taurus :barf:

Thanks for your replies and opinions. It's clear that Taurus is not the way to go. Went back to the shop this afternoon and bought a Glock 27. Unlike Taurus, the Glock comes with a second magazine. Again, thanks, you're a good group of shooters.

Back