Looking for a scope Under $150 (Distance)

tyson90

Inactive
well I have a savage axis 308 3-9x40 scope with a bipod. I bought this gun mainly for target shooting, since my parents just bought a home on 15acres. A lot of the land is mountain land. I setup a range at about 100 yards of flat land, but I have about another 400-500yards of mountain to shoot up. Now I'm looking for the best scope I can buy for under $150. To remind you this is a budget gun, I spent about $350 on the package. So a scope with a decent zoom for example 8-24x44 or whatever. But I'd be very happy to find a scope for around $100
Any suggestions on brand/model? Thanks for any help.

At only 400-500 yards just use the scope that came on it until you can save up enough for a better scope. 9X is enough. There are a handful of decent 3-9X40 scopes out there in the $150-$200 range. As you go up in magnification the price either goes up significantly, or quality goes down significantly. You won't get much of a 8-24X scope for $150.

The higher the magnification the more your wobble shows up. 9x is plenty for your range. I used to be a fan of Simmons scopes when they were made in the Philippines, not now. Save your money and get a Nikon Buckmaster or a Leupold Rifleman.

There's always the naysayers who don't think you need any magnification. I honestly can't understand it. I don't know if they're shooting at car sized targets at those ranges or what but I can tell you that I barely consider 25x to be adequate for shooting varmints at 500 and I'd gladly take 50x if I could get it. There isn't any appreciable "wobble" when you're shooting at 500 yards from a bipod. There better not be, or you're wasting your time. Besides, the wobble is there whether you can see it or not. If it would make you miss at 25x, it would make you miss at 9x.

That said, I've used plenty a cheap scope in my life. My .204 wore a $125 10-40x Tasco for several years and it performed admirably (for it's price tag) until the day is was inexplicably and fatally off by several FEET at 100 yards. No big deal, it cost me a woodchuck.

However, that 10-40x was, in reality, more like a 10-25x or maybe 28x because it became unusable above that. The image simply washed out in all but the most direct, brightest sunlight and was completely useless above 32x in any conditions.

Also, compared side by side to a Bushnell Elite, it was obvious that the magnification was not correct. The image was noticeably (obviously) larger at the same setting in the Bushnell. That means the Tasco was probably more like a 20x max.

Currently, my .204 wears a 8.5-25x Mueller Eradicator that I got for $215. It is 5 times the scope that Tasco ever was and nearly on par in terms of optics, side by side comparison, with that same Bushnell Elite. The Bushnell is slightly brighter and clearer but not enough to effect shooting. Of course, the Bushnell is also more than 2x the price.

Long story short, I highly recommend that you find a Mueller, such as this one.

When I bought my Hawkeye 223 at Bass Pro some years ago, I had them put a $150 Bushnell on it. Magnification is 4-12. It's boxed now, but I used it for a year or so, and it worked fine. I later upgraded to a 4-16. Nikon, but it broke, so back to the Bushnell till the Leupold 6-18 arrived. Nothing wrong with a $150 Bushnell. I think that the 6-24 Bushnell Trophy is close to your price range. Always good to have extra magnification when and if you need it.

And years ago I had a Tasco 6-24, and it was great for targets, but not quite bright enough for late evening pig hunting.

Yea, I have had tasco scopes before. To me they seem to be decent scopes with a low price tag. I think im going to start with a Tasco . Thanks for the help. Also from what I've seen Its between Tasco, Barska, Truglo, or field and stream, They seem to be the brands in my price range. Any insight or recommendations? Thanks

For $150 or less I would go straight to a Weaver K-4.

Not expensive and I have had excellent luck with them, both on my rifles and on many I have mounted for customers.

Amazon has the Mueller 8.5x25 Tactical for $169.

I'm like Brian- I appreciate the guys ability to shoot 500-1000yds with 4x scopes, buckhorn sights, or whatever. Me, I can't do that so I take all the help I can get. And, I've got several Muellers, and not a one of them was money over-spent.

tyson90 said:
I think im going to start with a Tasco .

Maybe you got some information elsewhere that you trust, and that's fine, but that's exactly the opposite of where I intended to point you with my post.

Tasco and similar brand scopes (basically all those you mentioned in that post) are the absolute bottom of the barrel, recommended only if you absolutely, positively must have a scope RIGHT NOW and don't have a penny more than they cost.

A Mueller is not exactly equivilant to a NightForce either but it's several light-years ahead of a Tasco for only a few bucks more.

I'm sure this isn't the answer you were looking for, but i'd save up a few more bucks and get a better quality scope. Most of those listed are junky.

May have replied to your inquiry on another site. If so, I had recommended a BSA 6-24x44 Majestic DX hunter scope.

Later, I remembered another scope that fit your price range and power you wanted, that I also owned.

It too is a BSA, but supposedly only Midway has it. Its a 30mm tube tactical scope 6-24x44 with target turrets that comes with a set of rings. Often Midway has this scope on sale for around $110. More than likely, you'll be dissatisfied with the rings that come with the scope.....will be too high.

But, like the BSA Majestics I own, decent optics, turrets tract OK, and has held zero for me after a year or two of shooting with mine. Just shoot paper, don't hunts, so a fair amount of rounds downrange with this scope mounted. There are a lot of reviews on Midway about this scope and a fair amount of positive things are written about it.

$100 to 125, ZOS scope, Chinese made on the heavier side but over all a surprisingly good scope for the money, I have one fitted to a .243 and canot fault it, 1/8 adjustments, range wheel, adjustable eye relief, and the seller for me which got me to try it was the magnification 10-40x60mm don't need a spotting scope here, optioned with two different reticles mil dot or tactical ranging which I chose, can't fault it for the money have fired off over 200 max charged hand loads and has held zero. eBay seems to be littered with them and there are many reviews some good some bad, from my end on a .243 all good reports here. Oh almost forgot, comes with rings to suit the 30mm tube I would upon opening the box remove them walk them outside of your house and drop them down the deepest well you can find!!! Then buy a quality set of rings I favour the millet two peice vertical split suit weaver rail, but what ever type u go for make them quality whether a $100 Chinese scope or a $2500 night force they both shoot poorly if they ain't anchored securely

Last edited by a moderator:
Simmons Predator Quest scope seem very good for the money.
Vortex Crossfire scopes are a great budget scope.

Steer clear of Tasco, Barska, and other very cheap scopes.

Get a Used Burris in any condition on ebay or similar. Lifetime replacement warranty, and they mean it.

I have barskas, tascos, leapers and other cheaper scopes. Stay away.
Good glass clarity and sharp adjustment abilities are relevant if your looking at 500 yard shots.

Back