Looking for a Python-like revolver that is not S&W...

twoblink

I went shooting with a friend, who has a nice Python. It shot well, the groups were all touching.. Shooting 357's were very easy, and shooting 38Spls felt like .22LR's in that gun.

So now, I kind of want one.

If I don't go python, what are my other options that is NOT S&W?

Dan Wesson? What else??

Thanks guys..
Albert

A Ruger GP100 is just about the same heft as a Python (even eats out of the same model speedloaders), isn't half bad in the accuracy department, is one HELL of a lot tougher, and would need a gunsmith's attention to the trigger to get anywhere close to a Python's trigger feel.

The Python is a delicate beast for it's size. It'll go out of time fairly easy, and a steady diet of hot factory ammo will slowly eat it alive.

You can get a Ruger GP100, have some trigger work done and be out the door for under $500. Good custom sights are widely available for the Ruger, somewhat less so for the Python and they'll be more expensive. If you have a good gunsmith do a custom barrel on the Ruger in addition to the trigger job, I'd be willing to bet you'll really match the Python's accuracy, the Ruger will still be at least twice as tough and your total bill will be a lot less than a good used Python, probably by hundreds of bux.

I have a 6" Python and a 6" Colt King Cobra. They are similar in size, weight, chambering, and design (sorta). The Python cost me $800.00, the King Cobra cost me $450.00. Bought both of them used.

Of the two examples that I own, the King Cobra is the nicer gun. The trigger is better in both double action and single action. The acuracy is great. Look around at gun shows. I see them for sale now and again.

I guess I need to take the Python to a smith. I keep reading that they are THE best, but the trigger pull on mine is very disappointing. It stacks horribly. It is fairly well used, so it must be time for a tune-up.

When I think of Revolvers, I think Colt, S&W, and Ruger. Other than the Python and S&W's, you have the King Cobra and the GP-100. After that you have a mix of other stuff like Dan Wesson, Taurus, etc. My revolvers are all Colts and S&W's, but I like the Rugers too (though I find the SP-101 heavy and the autos too big). If you look around, though, you can probably find a Colt Python at a good price. I picked up my 6 inch nickel Python with factory wood grips in excellent shape for 675.

http://www.dan-wesson.com

Is it just me or does the Dan Wesson website no longer exist..?

I like the Dan Wessons. The Hitler Republic of Kalifornia will not allow me to buy Dan Wessons.. That is why I want to move out of here.

I like the pythons, but they are a bit delicate for my blood. Comments from my friends like "Because of my Python, my gunsmith and I are now best friends" doesn't really instill in me, all that much confidence. But I want something that shoots just as well, and is built like a tank. I have a friend with a Ruger, didn't care much for them.

S&W, traitors... not really what I want.

So aside from those, what are my options? King Cobra might be an option, I haven't shot one yet though..

Albert

For the really big bucks crowd thier is the Korth revolver, looks like the SW 586 but cost about 3 times as much as a Python (best of both worlds I guess :)).

I belive they stopped importing them a few years back but you might be able to find one. Seriously they were considered to be one of the finest revolvers made.

While I've worked on the triggers of my Rugers, they never approach the smoothness of the Colt. If you were to graph the pressure curve on the trigger pull, the Colt Python has a long, slow double action trigger. The gradual increase in pressure is attributable to the sear. On the Ruger, it tends to spike. While it can be smooth, it will never approach that of a Python.

Funny but the older S&W use to use the same type of elongated sear on their guns. Then they went to that blocky thing (like what the Ruger has). The German revolver maker, Korth, uses a "roller" attached to the end of its sear (Cylinder & Slide copied their S&W roller sear from Korth). That roller makes for a smoother trigger.

In theory it shouldn't be too hard to make a roller. You simply get round stock, drill it out and drill out the sear. It's then assembled and held in place with music wire. Once fitted, it should be removed and hardened.

No offense to Ruger fans, but you can dump a ton of $$ on a Ruger, and you know what you get? A Ruger.

If you get a $50 trigger job on a $300 gun, you still have a $300 gun if you ever try to sell it.

Personally, I think a lot of this talk about Pythons going out of time is over-reported. I have been shooting pythons 15 or so years, and have never had or seen a timing problem.

Why dont you want a Smith and Wesson? If its because of the boycott, thats great, but you can always be a used but essentially new one, and S&W won't get a dime.

If I was going to buy a 357 mag with the exclusion of the python, I would go with:

#1 Used S&W 686
#2 Colt King Cobra
#3 Used S&W 66
#4 Ruger GP 100
#5 Ruger Security Six

double or single?

Shooting double or single action?
A used s&w will not benefit smith in any way and has one of the better double actions pulls.
If a python is too high, a good used colt trooper (not mkIII) will give you roughly the same lockwork as a python for dbl action shooting at a lot less money.
Dan wesson is very accurate in single action but the double action pull is quite a bit different from pythons or smiths.
Ruger is ruger---tough as nails and accurate but usually needs work to smooth out for dbl action shooting.

Ruger GP100

Hmm. How is the GP100 in a 6"? Any major complaint about it?

It looks like a strong contender that I can afford..

Albert

I had a local gunsmith clean up the trigger on my GP-100 quite a bit. Also did a "Bill Jordan" radiusing, which seems to make a difference too. I've still got the original springs, but if I lightened just a little it would improve it even more, as the ruger's pull is a little heavy.

The factory trigger kinda stunk... it's a whole different beast now - still no smooth old s&*, but approaching "fine".

This must be "the lifestyles of the rich and shameless". A Korth? C'mon already. Nice revolver, but I think for the money, I could buy a Colt or similar, put some parts in it, and have a pot load of money left for grips I like/holsters/optional finish/ammo for practice. Saw a nice S&W 27 with a 6 inch barrel go for $350 w/ammo which is not unusual around DFW. You might not be able to hod rod loads in a Python, but then it was designed as a target pistol, so I expect smooth and accurate with mid loads. Any N frame S&W ought to take the same abuse as a Ruger. Nothing against a Ruger-they all seem to be hell for strong, and some of them can be very accurate, and can't squawk about the price at all. Scares me to hear people who think you just have to have a $1500+sidearm or you couldn't hit a barn if you were inside it. There is such a thing as buying what you want/can afford, and working with it until you get used to its personality glitches, but I don't hear much of that anymore.

S&W did not make the Python colt did. and they just brought it back so juat ask you gun shop 2 get you one.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Smython conversion.

Besides the action and its sensuous looks, the barrel was always the hallmark of the Python. It uses a different rifling than any other model of revolver in .357 Magnum. This accounts for its amazing accuracy.

The Python action was not always the best fit for many shooters who needed a rapid fire sixgun.

The Smython conversion was the mating of a Python barrel with a Smith & Wesson K or L-frame. The conversion is quite clean and looks very exotic. Davis Custom out in CA does the conversion routinely, but I'm sure there are many other smiths who have done the same.

A Smith & Wesson action mated to the most accurate factory produced barrel in the industry. Quite a combination when you think about it.

If you don't already have one, get a pre-agreement S&W and give Davis a call. The conversaion was quite reasonable as he used to swap the S&W barrel for the Python one.

One more possibility would be having a very accomplished gunsmith build you a match grade barrel using the Python's rate of twist with a custom shroud mounted onto your choice of action (e.g., S&W). I looked into this once with Maryland Gun Works and Lou quoted $300.00 for the barrel work.

One last suggestion would be the mating of a pre-agreement S&W K or L-frame with a Dan Wesson barrel and shroud. This concept originated with Jim Cirillo of NYPD Stakeout Squad fame. There are several photos of this conversion and instructions in his book "Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights." Given Cirillo's considerable background in firearms competition, law enforcement, and handgun hunting I'm quite certain he is qualified to speak of such a conversion. As the Dan Wesson shroud roughly equates the Python with a rib and underlug perhaps the look would appeal to you.

Good shooting.

- Anthony

Back