Looking for a plinker >$500

Ezeckial

Also I'll be keeping it in the truck.
So, what's your call...?
I thinking about a mini-14 or mini 30 (do they have any trouble with surplus ammo?)...maybe in stainless.

[This message has been edited by Ezeckial (edited May 10, 2000).]

Are SKS's available in your area? Around here they're $250 or so. That will get you a bunch of ammo for practice.

Nothing wrong with Rugers except a lack of magazines.

Giz

Ezeckial - Personally, I don't think of rifles (or carbines) chambered in .223 or .308 as 'plinkers'... (well... maaaaaaybe .223... on some days) :)

To me, the ideal plinker round is the .22 long rifle. Ideal for skipping soda pop cans up a trail, or small varmit control.

What is it that YOU like to plink?

Cliff

More than $500 or less than $500?

For more than $500, why not one of those wonderful Kimber 22s? Drop dead gorgeous, and built like a swiss watch, and very accurate. What more could you want?

For under $500, a Ruger 10/22. Period. Whether plain or tricked out, it's the all-time winner in the plinker category. Stick a scope on it and pop tin cans all afternoon. 500 rounds after supper is plinker heaven.

Truck rifle has to be durable and cheap. Vote goes to SKS. The Romanian ones can be found for under $200 now. There are those ten round AK's and you can still get 30 round AK's for under $500, but I don't think they are good truck guns too much to lose.

IF you go with an SKS with one of the $50 synth stocks as the wood on most of them is some equivelent to yellow pine.

If you want a civilian plinker then yea the Ruger mini-14 is nice but I thing the Mini-30 uses a .308 bore and thus is really ment for the american ammo (I could be wrong)

for abslout low cost .22 bolt plinker get a romain 1963 for $60 really nice littl gun

Agree on the SKS. Ammo can be found for less than $100 / case (less than 9mm). The gun is extremely reliable in extremely adverse conditions (read: trunk). While the .22 is the ideal plinking caliberIMHO, 7.62x39 is very fun as well.

you may want to also look into a kit and a stripped lower and build an AR for about the price of a mini 14, my total was 535 including shipping for the kit and lower. Model 1 sent me the kit in only 4 days and it cost 400 bucks. Gunsmoke sells lowers for 110 delivered

Back