looking for a pistol

Ok, looking for a pistol that will be a small carry gun AND will operate similar to the typical Beretta 92.

One example of what I'm looking for is a Walther PPK. It, like the Beretta, is double action, has a safety that flips UP to fire, and has a decocker.

I'm looking for this gun to be a good deep concealed carry gun for my wife. I think a .32 would be the caliber because the .380 can be pretty snotty to fire in a small direct blowback gun.

The reason I want it to operate similar to a Beretta is because she already has a Beretta 92 that she absolutely loves. It is just that the Beretta is not easy to conceal carry in all situations (and she has a 92 Compact).

Any suggestions? We might just go with a Walther for the above reasons.

Thanks.

I will get pounded for this......Smith 3913. Same action you describe, and the 9mm is similar to a blowback .380. Also uses the same ammo as her beretta.

Looking

You may have answered your own inquiry given the restrictions. A Walther PPK/S in .380 or .32 would fill the bill nicely.

If you don't mind just a bit more bulk through the grip you might try to run down a used Browning .380 BDA with the 13 round magazine.

Another suggestion would be to take a look at the Sig Arms P-232 in .380. It doesn't have a safety, but does have a de-cocker. They are a bit larger than the Walther, but are very nice and relatively snag free. Plus you can get them with an alloy frame if weight is a consideration. My sister-in-law has one that she thinks the world of. I have been permitted some range time with it and share her opinion as to the quality.

Take a look at a Colt Pony Pocketlite. Tiny, 13 oz, DAO and .380 with a fully locked breech.

Shoot a PPK before you buy, they definitely kick with a snap that is surprising.

The Colt is much smoother, and lighter, and smaller.

i highly recommend the Sig p-232 in .380, wouldn't recommend much smaller than .380 for carry. also, Beretta puts out a small frame .380, looks exactally like the larger ones, if you want to stick to something she is comfortable with.

Adept

<edited by your's truly>

the wife loves the p-232, it's a damn good size for someone with small hands that wants to conceal a decent gun. also, i found the action on the ppk i looked at a while back to be a bear to work, not what i expected for a gun of it's size.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I didn't know the Colt was locked breech, I'll have to give it a look. Lot's of people like the Sig. I know people love the Kahr. But it will still be nice to have a safety that works like the Beretta. The S&W sounds interesting.

Guess we've got some looking to do.

If you like the PPK, consider the FEG SMC or the Bersa Thunder. Both are clones of the PPK, and both significantly lighter. I have an older FEG that I like a lot. Bersa owners seem pretty proud, too. Use the search function for past threads on these pistols.

Somebody is also going to suggest a Makarov. There are also many threads singing the praises of these fine surplus pistols. They are slightly larger than a PPK, and slightly more powerful (with defense loads).

Onslaught asks, "What about one of the new Compact Berettas? The Cougar, Mini-Cougar, and that UGLY new little polymer 9000S? What could be more like a Beretta than a Beretta?"

Not all Berettas have the same features. We looked at the Tomcat, for example. While it seems a nice gun, the safety is kinda quirky. Not only is opposite direction of the 92, but it also hard as crap to move.

I haven't seen a 9000s, but I'll look for it.

You know, this will be about as easy as me finding a pair of shoes that she likes :)

The 9mm Berettas have the same features.

For concealed carry, the 9000S seems to be the way to go. If you can wait, Beretta is going to introduce th Custom Carry II, a slimmed down 92.

If you like Beretta and .32 cal, try the Beretta Tomcat 3032. I would go with current manufacture in stainless. Alot of people on this board bad mouth them but I have had no problems at all. The tip up barrel is great for people who have a hard time racking the slide.

Recommend looking around for a used Berreta 87 or Browning BDA 380, (Beretta 87 with closed slide). Both hold 13 rounds of .380, and ergonomically are smaller 92's. Had one of the Brownings and was very pleased.
Take Care

Actually the Custom Carry II has been out for awhile. I purchased a couple of them several months ago. They are all stainless, compact Type M, single stack (8 rounds), ambi saftey. Had a hard time finding extra mags and there were absolutely no other grips yet manufactured (which is not a surprise with a new model). Smooth shooting and had excellent accuracy but I didn't like the fact that it had such low capacity mags (for a 9mm carry pistol). I didn't keep my CCIIs but they were certainly nice to shoot. Of course there's nothing like the Elite IIs and I am partial to the "G" models anyway. The Berettas are flat out nice looking guns.

Back