Looking for a new caliber (eventually)

Deja vu

As any one knows that reads my posts or my sig I own a fair ammount of fire arms but all are in one of 4 calibers. 22LR, 357 magnum, 45-70 Govt, 12ga.

I am looking to add a 5th round.

What I am looking for is a longer range rifle round. It needs to be able to out do my 45-70 for range (so more than 250-300 yards) and still be able to kill a deer/badguy for a reasonably skilled shooter. It needs to be pretty common and easily to stock up on (I don't want to stock another hard to find caliber like the 45-70). I have believed in stocking up on ammo for a long time.

Most importantly! There needs to be a wide verity of types of guns chambered in it. Ideally Id like to find both Rifles and handgun but that is the ideal and my not be practical. I guess that is why I love the 357 magnum.

I love the 357 magnum because it it available in Rifles (both levers and bolts) it is in Revolvers both large and pocket sized, It is available in semi autos, it is available in Derringers. While I can not expect the same from a high powder rifle round I would like to to be available in many kinds of actions (yes I will likely buy several rifles (and handguns?) in that round.

To me it looks like 308/7.62 or may be 30-06

May I ask why you are thinking of adding another? You have been pretty strict of a long time on your 4 calibers. That picture of your suppressed 45-70 is pretty legendary around these parts.

You want a caliber with no particular gun in mind? You want a caliber for both rifle and pistol that has greater long range potential than the 45/70? Unless you refer to the specialty pistols like the TC Contender there will be no handgun caliber that suit your purpose...whatever it might because honestly I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you want. Do you know exactly what you want? You want to hunt deer AND kill "bad guys" with it? Like a sniper rifle? A battle rifle? And a hunting rifle?

I suggest you do a little homework and decide what you want the rifle to do. No gun does everything. Then figure out what calibers are available in that platform and what would serve your purpose best.

The .308 is a good general purpose caliber, and there are others that are also good, but first choose the type of rifle. You've sort of hitched the horse up behind the wagon, here.

You've sort of hitched the horse up behind the wagon, here.

Kind of. But I have to agree that the .308 probably fits the bill closer than anything else. Only because of the AR 10, bolt action and lever gun selections.

And, I just found the PTR PDW 308 "pistol".

250-300 certainly leaves out any traditional handgun round.

Wide availability and deer sized game suggest .308, .243, .270.

I would suggest that you look into reloading, if you don't already. Free. Your. Mind.

I would suggest checking ammo availability in your area for 243 win, 308 win, and 30/06 sprg. All are available in bolt, break, and auto actions. And all 3 are available in the TC Encore handgun line. Makes a good long range hunting handgun.

You might be asking too much

That kind of performance packed into a handgun will come with a cost. It' certainly doable but how useful and effective will it be?

The ability to work in a handgun would just be nice its not necessary. I shoot my 45-70s in a BFR (big revolver)

As for what its for? Hunting deer and elk at ranges that would be hard for a 45-70.

Yes I do reload.

I was originally thinking the tried and true 30-06 or a 270. Ammo cost is important. I like to be stocked up incase ammo gets scarce (I have been the provider for many of my neighbors and family of 22lr for about 2 years now) . I believe in stocking at least 2000 rounds of every caliber you own and 20,000 rounds of rimfire. Infact I have only gotten about 3-4 bricks of 22lr since the ammo scare started. My 22lr is not stocked as well as I would like it to be now but I am still better off than most.

I also like to keep the ammo pretty uniform. For example for 45-70 I have about 1500 rounds of Hornady Leverevolution (or reloads loaded to nearly the same velocity with the same bullets) and then 300 Subsonic 500 grain bullets and about 200 Subsonic 550 grain bullets. Eventually all my subsonic will be 550 grain. Yes the sub sonic is for a suppressed 45-70. For 22LR about 90% of my ammo was federal bulk with the rest mixed between CCI stingers and Eley Subsonic HP.

I am pretty good at taking deer out to about 250 yards with my 45-70 and the hornady ammo, so to make it worth while It would have to be an improvement over that. If its no better i would just stick to only the 45-70 and save the ammo costs.

Also I am about out of guns I can buy in my current calibers with out have guns that are nearly the same. So adding another caliber would give me an excuse to get a few more guns. I guess I could just stock up on my ammo but I feel I am pretty set on ammo though I would like to get some more federal bulk 22lr.

I guess I should of asked is it worth it?

[p.s. Sorry for going on so long. I am trying to help others understand where I am coming from as far as introducing a new round to by stock pile.

Last edited:
I am looking to add a 5th round.

What I am looking for is a longer range rifle round. It needs to be able to out do my 45-70 for range (so more than 250-300 yards) and still be able to kill a deer/badguy for a reasonably skilled shooter. It needs to be pretty common and easily to stock up on (I don't want to stock another hard to find caliber like the 45-70). I have believed in stocking up on ammo for a long time

The only practical ones I can think of is the 270 Winchester or 300 Win Mag.

Jim

Back