Looking for a lightweight, puritan .22lr "survival type" bolt action

simonrichter

For a long time, I've been looking for a rifle that obviously doesn't exist so far: Something with the basic concept of a Henry AR7 or an Aero Survival, but 1.) bolt action and 2.) NO takedown feature (since both semi-auto and quick disassembly are restricted features in my home country)

Any ideas which model would come closest to that description?

Last edited:
Alas, folding works even less than takedown... The Crickett looks nice dimension-wise, yet it's only single shot (or is there a repeating version with a mag as well?)

The world used to be full of bolt action tube fed 22 rifles. And now there are many clip fed versions. Any of these can be cut down to shorter length to make them a little more handy. And don't forget the Remington 572 pumps. Those are still new made from Remington.

I have always liked the look of this rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGeZYqMQ7gw

You can do the same thing with about any bolt action rifle you find in 22 caliber.

Can you own a lever action?

+1 on the Crickett. You can get an adult-sized stock for it.
A Cricket or a Savage Rascal. I bought a Rascal for one of my grandsons another 2 Crickets for my other grandson and granddaughter. All are good shooters that are light as a feather. I've I could still hike, I'd get another and convert it to a folding stock.

The Rascal is a better choice it you want to put a scope on it but otherwise I think they're about equal...

Tony

Thanks a lot for the input so far - the M722 looks a lot like what I have in mind. And yes, lever action would be an option as well, thanks for that notion as well!

Does it have to be a bolt action or can a lever or pump action be an option? Also, do you want a detachable mag or is a tubular mag okay?

I would say look at a Henry lever action or pump action. The pump action, the .22 being so short, there's not much movement needed to cycle the action, so you could shoot that prone, it just wouldn't be the most comfortable way to shoot it and when you're not prone it will be a lot faster to shoot than any lever or bolt action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwIvfnz2amM

Also, there are speed loaders for tubular magazines. They're not small by any means, but you can hold over 150 rds in these speed loaders:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...agazine-rifle-ammunition-loader-polymer-clear

PS- Don't buy a Marlin XT-22, in fact just don't buy a Marlin. They are pure garbage.

IMO, the .22LR rifles marketed as "survival" rifles are mis-named. The ultimate "survival" .22 rifle is a single shot. Preferably break-action with an aperture sight.

1. If you are in a "survival" situation ammo will be at a premium. Blowing through a magazine (tube or detachable) is contraindicated.
2. The added complexity of a repeater is also a bad idea.
3. As is the need for a magazine to operate the rifle.

Jfruser,
you're welcome to make your own choices, and I hope everyone gets to enjoy shooting and the outdoors. I disagree with most of what you wrote. Yet I hope none of us ever has to find out for real.

"Blowing through a magazine (tube or detachable) is contraindicated".

Can you explain what you are trying to communicate in that sentence please.

Ty

Back