Looking for a light compact .223 bolt action.

N.Y.G MP Pvt

It is quickly becoming coyote country here in the north east. The farm I work on has lost some livestock due to these little sons of bitches(literally).Any way I'm looking for a compact .223 bolt action for not alot of money. This is going to be a hiking gun(my BM gets alota weird looks). I'm gonna keep iron sights or maybe go w/ a scout setup. How the Remington model 7. I know it aint a tack driver but I need a cheap plinker that doubles as a predator gun.

The Remington is fine, but my first thought was the Ruger 77MkII Ultralight (I think it is called the Ultralight; the one with the light barrel contour).

Another option, especially for a hiking gun that wouldn't be shot all that often, would be the Thompson Center Contender carbine, with 16" barrel and rifle stock. They make 16" barrels in .223, 30-30, 7-30 Waters I think, and .22 LR. There is one at a gun store near me and I was very impressed after handling it. Very light and handy, with good sights and trigger. You can scope it easily too.

Have fun!

[This message has been edited by AEM (edited January 26, 2000).]

Check out the BRNO or CZ 527 with half or full stock. They're light weight, accurate, and offer a mini-Mauser controlled feed action. Though BRNO is famous for variations in wood, you can find them with some exceptional figure in the stocks from time to time as an added benefit.

Hello. I fully agree with 256M-S. My CZ527 is utterly reliable and accurate. It handles, as Jeff Cooper remarks, "like a swager stick" and has a good trigger. While my 527 has the older synthetic stock, two other BRNO/CZ rifles have beautiful wood. I rather think that these guns are overlooked in the US, despite the fact that they are the most sold hunting rifle in the rest of the world! Best to all.

I bought a like-new Ruger 77 Mk II in .223. I liked its 1/2"-3/4" groups, but not its tort-liability trigger. An easily-installed after-market trigger solved the problem. (My Alzheimer's just kicked in and I forget the name...Duh.)

FWIW, Art

Edit: Timney! That's it, Timney! :)

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited January 26, 2000).]

krspb.gif

Conventional wisdom in Iowa is the Ruger MkII "All-Weather" is the most Farmer Proof rifle for the money - around $325 used at gunshows. The stock ain't much to look at but it's hell-for-stout. Don't rust cuz it's stainless, rides in the the tractor real nice. They also make an light weight version. To get'em with sights you have to buy a .243, all the .223 come without. I just bought a .223 MkII "Sporter" with the new gray/green laminate stock. Have'nt had it long enough for a definitive accuracy report. What kinda of livestock loses have you had? -- Kernel

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/boltrfles/mmkii.html

[This message has been edited by Kernel (edited January 26, 2000).]

Back