Looking for a Hard Shell rifle case

Clinth

Inactive
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm looking for a lockable Hard shell rifle case that holds 2 AR's and a handgun. I will be using it for storage and transporting the rifles on Airplanes. Any suggestions? What are the pro's/ con's of Plastic shell vs. Aluminum shells?
Clinth

I have a Pelican case for my AR. The thing is tough as nails, has locations for two padlocks, and has that neato decompression valve thingy.

I also have a 4 place SKB case (HUGE!) and I'm not quite as happy with the fit quality. The locking latches seem a little chincy to me, but they do the job. Good for trips to the range but I don't think I would trust it to the luggage gorrillas.

I've heard that Starlight cases are pretty durn tough too, but I don't have any experience with these. I've also heard they are kinda spendy.

If I was flying, I would probably just buy a Pelican.

BTW: Aluminum cases will dent, plastic springs back.

Happy shopping!

Just a suggestion - maybe look into one of those SKB cases that musicians use for keyboards - I think those would be big enough to hold your guns and provide adequate protection.

Oops, just read the above post again - not sure if the SKB's referred to above are specifically for guns or generic use - but some of the one's I've used seem pretty tough.

[This message has been edited by Engineer (edited August 03, 2000).]

I have a Pelican 1700. My 16" barreled AR15 just barely fits with about 1" to spare on either end. The 1750 is a little bit bigger if you need to transport 2 firearms.

My SKB case typically carries 4 rifles/shotguns and 2 pistols. I probably put too much stuff in it because the rivets for the handle (not the metal one on the end, but the plastic one on the top) ripped out after a while. I replaced the rivets with solid stainless steel rods (axles from an RC car).

I'm not sure what your locking preference is, but the SKB looks like it has those "one-key-fits-all" type locks. IMHO, owner purchased padlocks are probably the best choice.

I also have a Pelican case. It is a Browning version. Mine is the shorter of the large cases with wheels on one end. Shotguns and easy to take down rifles are perfect fits. They $200 plus, but will last forever.

Back