Looking for a great gun shop in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Postman

I was just remembering the fantastic gun shops I used to visit in Maryland. Now I live in Westchester County, New York. I've been here for six years and never really found a well stocked shop.
Any recomendations? Distance is not really a problem. I'm looking for a shop with lots to look through and a willingness to order any obscure thing I might be able to think up.

Try Andrean Arms, New City, Rockland County, Joe is a really nice guy, and he has a good amount of neat stuff.

914-634-7646

Ditto on Jersey City Armory, Greg M is the man- bought 2 guns from him, no problems-. Prices are very aggressive.

Also- American Outdoor Sports on Long Island,
Suffolk County- very nice selection of guns- prices aren't that bad, not the best either.

Also- Camp-Site Sports, Long Island, Suffolk County. Good selection, prices are good- can be very good if you negotiate. People are very nice to deal with.

Downtown, there's Jon Jovinos (don't have the address but they're in the book) and another store right next door run by a chinese guy, but don't go in when he's eating lunch as I did, the only thing you'll buy are ear plugs.......

Jovinos is great for one thing, they offer a full permit service in gun scared NY, I think they charge $100 in preparing the case for a home or business permit and $500 for a CCW plus some massive fee that must accompany the application to the licensing office, if you have the cash Jovinos can get the job done. I don't know how much you've looked into gun ownership in NY, but as an out of state visitor I was not even allowed to handle handguns in the gun shops. Definitely not a pro gun city. Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Mike H

Mike H, New York City is much worse than the rest of the state. I'm in Westchester County, just north of the city. Here there still is an enormous amount of paper work needed to get a permit.
You need to have four people sign a character reference form for you. These forms must be signed before a notery. Try getting four people to take a form to a notery in a timely fasion. There is a four hour NRA saftey course that must be completed and a handful of forms that you yourself must fill out and sign before a notery, five sets of fingerprints are taken. Then you wait about six months. Finally, your permit is ready. On the back of the permit are the guns, with serial numbers, that you are permited to posses and carry. You may not carry them just anywhere, you must stipulate, at the time you file for the permit, what you intend to use them for. If you have a hunting license, you may request a hunting permit, which would entitle you to carry a gun, concealed and loaded, from your home, to the spot in which you intend to hunt. Or, with your employer's endorsement, you could get a business permit, which would allow you to carry whenever you were going to or from work, or enguaging in work related activities. Or, you could have what I have, a target permit, which allows me to carry to and from the range. Not to take with me up to the ski cabin, or off to the lake. Only from my primary residence to a range.
This permit is good in all of New York State, except in New York City. I live three miles from the Bronx, which is part of NYC. If I mistakenly took a gun across the border, I would be comitting a felony, with a firearm.

[This message has been edited by Postman (edited October 29, 1999).]

Mike H.: Actually the Chinese guy acquired John Jovinos years ago. The guy next few stores down is still being run by Dino Longiuera (spelling?)now called The Gun Shop, formerly Siles Distributors. I believe both have distributor status and have only a smaller portion of their time dedicated to walk in customers, less the law enforcement establishment.

But do try New York Ironworks (nyironworks@worldnet.att.net) at 219 Park Row, one block behind NYCPD Headquarters at 1 Police Plaza. Although they are strongly LEO oriented a "non tourist" attitude will get you thru the door.

BTW, I recall Westchester licensing requirements differ from NY STATE. NY STATE permits are not valid in NYC unless you have a "special license" or exceptional clearance. Best to check your locals. Hope this was of some help also.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

Nakano,

Thanks, sorry about the confusion, looks like I got the 2 mixed up because I was last in there less than 12 months ago.

Postman you have my sympathy, I hate to hear about a system that has been deliberately designed to discourage potential law abiding gun owners rather than vet out the "criminal element". You said you have a target permit but cannot take the gun to your ski lodge, is this Target, Special Target or a Premises Target and do you know what the difference is ? , which permit allows you to have the gun to hand in your own home for self defense purposes as opposed to it being locked away in a gun safe for target shooting only ? FWIW, the latest gun statistics I have for NYC in terms of ownership are for the figures as of August 1998, they are :

Target - 22,756
Retired NYCPD Officer - 12,156
Carry Business - 6,703
Premises Residence - 6,237
Carry Restricted - 3,092
Premises Business - 2,591
Carry Special - 960
Carry Guard - 575
Special Target - 398
Custodian - 241
Premises Target - 213
Carry Limited - 207
Other - 29
------
Total 56,146
------

Quite what the difference between Carry Restricted and Carry Limited is I don't know but it all looks pretty awful from here, hope it's not the future, wouldn't want to see the look on 4 of my non-shooting friends faces when I asked them to sign for my guns, guess that's where gun clubs come in handy.

Stay Safe,

------------------
Mike H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back