Looking for a good spotting scope for around a $100? any ideas?

NYCOP

I just need it to be clear up to maybe 200 yd 300 at the most, I want to set it on the bench and be able to see where my bullets are going on the target, most shots will be around a 100 yd. This is just for sighting in and target pratice. I was looking at a bushnell for $89.95 I think it was a 20 by 60 power.

I was going to mention Bushnell as probably the main brand that is going to fall into your price range.

Take a crack at eBay for that price range. If you don't mind buying used, you might be able to get better glass. Quite a few birdwatching enthusiasts sell their old scopes when they upgrade their equipment.

I bought a cheap Tasco during a Bass Pro sale for $30. It's one of their Xmas promotional items. It has zoom and is a 15-45x50. I'm going to try it out tomorrow for the first time, and I'll let you know how it works out. I don't think, however, this scope would be very good past 100 yards. The range where I shoot only has a 100 yard rifle range, so it's really all I need right now.

Don't expect too much for a hundred bucks. Optics is one field where you get exactly what you pay for.

Don't let the power of the scope fool you into believing you will be able to see anything small at a distance. You will notice that all inexpensive spotting scopes have relatively small (50 or 60 mm) objective lenses. This only means that you have a very small (relatively) hole to let the light in. When you crank up the magnification, the field of view quickly gets progressively dimmer and the twilight factor goes bye bye.

Concern yourself less with the magnification and more with the size of the objective lens.

Back