Looking for a good EDC for a small woman.

Swheeler94

Inactive
Hey y'all, this is my first post so pardon any faux pas.

For various reasons, up to and including death threats from her ex husband, my old lady is soon to be in the market for a pistol. I'm the first person who has ever begun to teach her to shoot, and she just recently graduated to hand guns from rifles, so her experience is fairly limited. Since I've never been a 5 foot, 110 pound girl, I'm not sure I know enough to point her in the right direction, so I was hoping that y'all might be able to help. Any ideas on good carry pistols for a small woman?

Things you might be interested in: She likes to shoot my XD .45 and my 1911. She's got small hands, but the recoil doesn't bother her too much. However both are too large and too heavy for her to be comfortable carrying. She'll also be carrying on the body since she isn't a purse sort of lady. She's never shot any revolvers, on my 22/45 ruger, my XD, and my 1911. Looking for something a small woman could conceal, with reasonable stopping power, some recoil is golden but I think some like a .44 haha.

Thanks in advance for any input.

1911-380

If she is comfortable with the 1911....take a look at the Browning 1911-380...a 85% reproduction of the 1911...all controls are the same...grip safety...thumb safety....my wife has both.....Browning 1911-22...for cheaper practice...and the 1911-380....which she shoots very well...fits her small hand..and the gun is very lite....has been 100% reliable....some may not like the 380.compared to the 45acp....but with proper placement...the bad guys will not know the difference.....

btw....wife has a 1911.45acp as well...but it is too large for her to conceal carry

Take a look at Rugar's LC9s in 9mm. I have one and it's what's called a compact.. I also have small hands as well. I also have a 1911 in .45acp. But lately I've been carrying my LC9s. It's small enough to fit in a pocket or to hide under an untucked shirt. I carry mine mostly open carry. And I have two holsters for it. One is a Alien Holster and the other is a Sneaky Pete. And I do like the Sneaky Pete holster a lot. It is an open carry holster but it doesn't look like a holster. It looks like a bag that you might carry note pads, cell phone, or other things in and not a gun. It also just clips to the belt or waist band of you pants. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The only thing a 5' woman could/would carry on-body is something small- like a Keltec P32 or a NAA mini revolver.
My recommendation is the Keltec. I carry one. Use the belt clip for IWB carry.
Even the P32 is probably too large for her to pocket carry.

A single stack 9 mm like the LC9s is a where I would start, although a small compact like an SR9c or G26 might work just fine. At the other end is a small 380. I like the LCP, and with a Houge grip added it is not bad to shoot.

Many will suggest a small revolver. I am saving my nickles for an LCR. One in 327 mag gives a lot of different ammo options and holds 6 rounds.

I would let her try a few and decide for herself. Good luck.

I always have to recommend the Walther PPS M2. Beats out the G43 and even Performance Center Shield in every comparison vid on the net. World class ergonomics and 100% reliability. Super slim but still handles like a full size pistol. Very versatile with 6,7, and 8rd mags with varying lengths.
http://accurateshooter.net/pix/ppsm204.jpg

For a double stack the P99c is tough to beat.

"Many will suggest a small revolver. I am saving my nickles for an LCR. One in 327 mag gives a lot of different ammo options and holds 6 rounds."

Yes. No controls to speak of, just point and shoot. Can shoot four different "calibers" (32s&w, 32s&w long, 32h&r magnum, 327magnum, and some will shoot 32acp). The 327 magnum is a serious load and very controllable. The LCR is pretty much as small and light as a revolver gets. My wife and daughter both prefer 32 magnum revolvers for SD.

For a semi-auto I would suggest something like a Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT. These are tiny 380's that fire from a locked breech. They are amazingly small and light. The recoil is stout, but it is worse on someone with big hands. For a small person who doesn't mind recoil it might be NBD. I sometimes carry mine in a pocket holster in my shirt pocket. That's how light and easy to conceal they are.

Thank y'all for the quick replys.

I'm leaning towards revolvers as the place to start. Thinking something hammer less would work well for her. Point and shoot is good for someone who has as little experience as she does. Though I will definitely get her to try some semis. I loved my keltec, maybe she will like them too.

Definitely gonna take her to a couple of the ranges around here that rent pistols, always seemed weird to me that people would buy a gun for their wife or girlfriend without doing so.

The biggest issue I see is that smaller pistols have more perceived recoil in my experience, so smaller calibers will probably be the order of the day.

For a revolver the Ruger LCR is a great gun for a great price. Available in a ton of calibers even 9mm! Hammerless, a really amazing and smooth trigger pull, and recoil taming grips. Awesome choice! The 9mm and 357 magnum are heavier than the 38spl model which helps with recoil. Especially shooting 38 in the 357.

First off if there is a good range that rents guns take her there to try out different ones to find out what she likes. Second find out if they have a female instructor that she can take a basic course from, it will help her greatly. Third show her "the Cornerdcat.com which is a site started by a woman for women. She will find what she is most comfortable with

since you're leaning towards revolvers, I'll suggest the Ruger LCR. I've had 3. Great trigger for a revolver.

I second the Ruger LCR, but in .357 magnum. Shoot .38s out of it exclusively. The extra 3.5 oz in weight makes a big difference in shooting comfort. It's the same size.

For pistols, Smith Shield 9mm, Springfield XDS 9mm, Glock 26.

Swheeler94, I think you should click on "pax", a moderator here, and have your ol lady look around on Kathy Jackson's website (corneredcat). That may have some influence toward your choice. If nothing else, I think you will both find it interesting and educational.

My wife chose the Ruger LCP Crimson Trace (red laser in front of trigger housing)
She says just pointing the laser and pulling the trigger is simple and trouble-free. She doesn't even have to try and find the sights, which are very small. Gotta just push it out there and fire in a committed motion. Slow pulling the trigger just sends bullets anywhere. She shoots a whole magazine (6+1) into a fist sized pattern at 30 feet. Plenty good for a parking lot attack/defense.

Smith & Wesson 642, 442 J frame would be a good option. Lot of holster and grip options to fit anyones needs.

LCR 38 or 357 is also a great choice.

For a small pistol I would look at the Kahr CW380 or CM9. They bring some of the smallest guns to the market that are both shootable and reliable. Very good quality pieces for the money. Long smooth revolver like trigger and no safety.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Both of my daughter's carry P-32 KelTec. Shoot them very well. small and easy to carry. One carries in a holster that clips to her bra so pistol in holster horizontal just under her bra. She works in a convenient type store and they wear T shirts with store name as uniform Other has the clip for IWB

test a Kahr first

The Kahr P9 (9mm) and P380 (380a) are very small and have amazingly smooth revolver-like triggers. (And they sell cheaper versions - functionally equivalent but with less finishing, etc.). People either love that trigger - or hate it -- but worth a few test snaps before going with the bulk of a revolver. (kahrs are < 1" in width).

Back