Looking for a good deal on a high magnification spotting scope!

mellow_c

I'm looking at these right now.

Levenhuk Blaze 20-75x100 Spotting Scope 50917 = $330

Barska 25-75x100 Angled Blackhawk Spotter = $380

I'd REALLY like a nice spotting scope with a LOT of magnification and a LARGE objective lens. I know that too much magnification can wash out the image due to poor glass and atmosphere distortion, but I'd really like something with at least 75 zoom if not more.

I'd also like to keep it bellow or at least around $500.

Anyone have any other suggestions? These two scopes above have virtually no reviews online, and I doubt they are available for me to look through at any local stores.

Any tips will help.

Right now I've got a slightly older 20-60x60 Barska that does just ok... it gets kinda dim at 60x. I would just love to have something with more magnification and a clearer image.

My use is pretty much just for fun. Yes I'd use it at the range, but I would use it for much much more... looking at the moon, looking at Jupiter, looking across the land from atop a hill side... you get the idea.

I have one other requirement. I'd want an angled optical lens, I cant stand the straight ones... to me they are only practical when sitting directly behind the scope with the scope on a table/bench. For anything else I find the straight lens very uncomfortable.

I know this section of TFL doesn't get a lot of attention, so any bit of info you can give, or if you know of someone or some place to refer me to for more info I'd really appreciate it.

Black Friday is coming up so now would be a great time to buy :-)

Thanks! :-)

I was at a meet last month, and the most cost effective scope out there was the Redfield Rampage. I believe it was a 20-60x80mm.

I'd also note that at really high magnification, the 'scopes under $1,000 may have magnified the image 70 times, but it was fuzzy, dark and the eye relief was very tight.

Thanks TXAZ

I was afraid of that... I guess I'm hopeful that the 100mm lens will help compensate for the lower quality glass.

You don't remember the objective lens size for any of those 70x under $1000 scopes do ya? :D

I like Redfield's stuff, I think the 20-60x80mm of theirs that you mentioned would be a safe bet.

You get what you pay for in optics. German glass is the best and the costliest. I have a Nikon spotter and it works OK for what I use it for. The higher magnification, low cost spotters are notorious for being useless in warm weather because of heat mirage at top end power. What are you using it for? Hunting or for Target spotting.

Thanks Rangerrich99.

shootbrownelk... These are my intended uses...

My use is pretty much just for fun. Yes I'd use it at the range, but I would use it for much much more... looking at the moon, looking at Jupiter, looking across the land from atop a hill side... you get the idea.

I don't think I can tell you of such a scope.It may be out there.

To work well,

Higher power requires a larger objective lense.Optically,obj lense dia divided by magnification gives you exit pupils size.

So,a 50 mm lense in a 10 X scope would yield a 5 mm exit pupil.
A 20 x scope with a 50 mm lense would give a 2.5 X exit pupil

Your eye,in darkness,will have amax of about a 7 mm pupil.( a 6x by 42 mm riflescope has a 7mm exit pupil.Good in low light)

In good light,you can deal with less exit pupil,as your eye chokes down.But the exit pupil determines how much light "information" comes through.

Even with an 80mm lense,40 x is a 2 mm exit pupil,about as small as you eye goes in bright light. You CAN use more magnification,but you will choke the light down ,and degrade what you can see.

Then there is glass quality.Higher end optics have Extra Density(ED) galss.My protting scope has a 77 mm Flourite crystal lense. Optical glass and coatings are expensive. Old coke bottles are cheaper. Bigger lenses are a lot harder to make perfect.They cost a lot more.

So you are asking for big objective lense,high power,cheep!! That's not so easy.

I bought my Kowa as a trade in.I got a deal! There are some finds on e-bay,maybe.But at a risk.I have a 20 x 1935 Bausch and Lomb that sees bullet holes at 200 yds easy. I think its only 50mm,maybe 60 mm.

I think if you try to get everything you want,you will compromise optical quality to the point you won't be happy.

My experience is with Kowa.I don't think you will find one in your price range,but maybe a used 65 mm or so will come along.Even the 77 mm.

Other brands,such as the Redfield,or maybe Votex,may be a good buy.

And for looking at the sky??? I'm curious about a 8 in Dobsonian reflector,myself!!

Nice write up HiBC. Thank you.

I sure wish I could look through this Barska 25-75x100mm. I'd just really like to see what it can do.

I called optics planet the other day and was talking to a customer service guy for a while... he recommended this.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-viper-hd-20-60x80-spotting-scopes.html

He said he could sell it to me for $620 out the door. I hate to say anything about this secret deal he could give me ;)

I think the clarity on a scope like that would easily compensate for the lack of 15x zoom when compared to the Barska

He said he could do the Barska for $340.

Tough call... That's a pretty smokin' deal on the Vortex though.

I'm not sure I'm ready to buy one yet. I should hang on to my money for now and see if I might ever get a chance to look through some first, even if it's just at a store somewhere. I'm not in a hurry.

I have no experience with Vortex products.I have heard very good things said about them .That MIGHT be a deal to stretch for,but I don't know.It does describe High density-low dispersion glass.Thats good.That ay wellbe quite a scope for a decent price.Its easy to spend $250 to $500 just for an eyepiece for a Kowa.

As far as the Barska,well,I have no experience with them,either.But I'd be inclined to say save your money.

I would not even worry about the extra 15x of power with the Barska.Its not useful.
Even with the 80mm lense of the Vortex,I think you will discover,whether looking at bullet holes or the moons of Jupiter,
You have a 20 to 60 zoom.I believe you will actually see the best image,the most detail,the clearest view of a bullet hole,at someplace around 40 to 45 X.

The field of view at 20 X makes finding a target easier.(Moons of Jupiter) Then you can zoom.If you wear glasses,eye relief is an issue.As power goes up,eye relief shortens.You are probably good at 45x for glasses.IMO,a long eye relief fixed 32 X(Or so,)
would be useful.
A nice feature on the Vortex,a short piece of picatinny to mount a red dot to aim the scope.

Its your $. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Well---if you don't care if its particularly portable----

I picked up a 6" Celestron reflector telescope at a garage sale. Had
a bunch of lenses and a VERY sturdy tripod with it, $80.

Screwed a piece of pickatinny on top and mounted an old Tasco
3x-9x for a spotter, Bought a 45° image inverter for it.

On a clear day before the mirage comes up, I can see individual blades
of grass at my farthest target (450 yds). If a fly lands on the 100 yd
target, you can tell what sex it is. :)

Back