looking for a good Caliber

I am looking to pick up a good caliber rifle. What would be a recomended round. Taking into account that I don't hunt but it could possibly be used for such at a later date. I am looking tentatively at a 22-250 or possibly a .308. I have had the 300 mag mentioned and even a 7mm.

You ask a good question, but offer no criteria to base an answer on. However ;), I will offer one anyway:

One rifle, one caliber, I chose .30-06. Of your choices, I would choose .308.

Reasoning:
1. You can get ammo anywhere, which implies both availability and competative pricing.
2. The range of loadings for these calibers boggles the mind! There are sabot rounds that I use for varmint control and hunting rounds of various configurations suitable for all North American game. There are also available AP and tracer ammo for tactical situations
3. Both calibers have many choices of platform (rifle), from military surplus to custom hunting rifles.

Is a .308/30-06 the best choice for every situation? Of course not, and may, in fact be a poor choice for you. Never the less, except for shooting birds on-the-wing, there is little that cannot be done, and done well by either of these.

Accually what I am mostly interested in is a good all purpose rifle. One that the ammo isn't to expensive so that I can go to a range and practice and also one that has stopping power in the event that I do decide to start hunting.

In that case, get a bolt action .308 (also known as 7.62 NATO). You can shoot the cheap military surplus stuff for $5 a box, or the match stuff for $25 a box. A well-placed shot will drop most North American game out to 300m with ease.

I second or third the motion for the .308. Not knowing how big is your billfold, I'd suggest a relatively low-end, non-fancy US-made gun. And then I'd buy a .22 bolt-action rifle with tube magazine. You can do a lot of practicing with the .22, real cheap. You'll get used to the same operating method.

I also recommend searching the TFL archives. There has been beaucoup discussion on thisses and thatses in this subject area, and you'd benefit from some reading...

Best luck and have fun, Art

Back