Looking for a Garand

Khumanos

I am looking to purchase a Garand Rifle, and found this site in a NRA mag;

http://www.thecmp.org

Anyone have any dealing with these folks, or any advice on purchase said rifle?

Thanks all

/r

Khumanos

Last edited:
I've never dealt with them, but when it comes to M1 Garands, the CMP is supposedly THE way to do it. Never heard of anyone having a bad experience following this route.

I have dealt with CMP a number of times. Go to their site, read the forums, make a purchase, you will not be sorry.

If you get a rifle from them you can be assured you are getting quality and something thats gone completely over

Yes do it. I got this in the mail last week. 6 month wait.
IMG_0003-3.jpg

IMG_0001-3.jpg

H&R correct grade. It was covered in cosmoline and the barrel is pristine.

Last edited:
You can sometimes find good deals on them at gunshows, but you are taking some risk buying from individuals versus dealers there, you run some risk of getting defective guns, rewelds, bad bores, and headaches. But sometimes you can get a good deal on a good gun there. Unfortunately you are often buying at your own risk, with no guarantees at all. CMP stands behind their guns but be aware they come in various grades, discuss that with others on their CMP forums too. Those are helpful features of their website.

I was looking at the model RM1SAS that they listed as Service Grade M1 Garand; they define that as;

SERVICE GRADE: (Good to Very Good)
Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish. There may be some minor pitting on the metal parts. Wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges. Wood may not match in color or type of wood. Wood may be of new production on Service Grade Garands. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections. The barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge less than 3 and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.

I liked the price, $595 as i don't wont to spend a fortune (with todays economy and all). Any one have anything like that? RT what make, model did you get?

Thanks again for all the input.

/r

Khumanos

The one I got last week was a HR Service Grade and looks pretty much like RT's but had a new CMP Birch stock. RT's looks like walnut to me. It is a shooter and I am pleased.

I have the Appleseed under my belt. Now if I had $650 floating around, I'd get one in a heartbeat. You can bet every time Saving Private Ryan et al comes on the rifle would be in my hands.:p

CMP is, without question, the best source of M1 Garand rifles. I have bought 3, 2 correct grades and the HRA Special last year. The rifles were better than the description, shoot and function very well, their ammo is the best-priced available M2 ball and their customer service is impeccable. With CMP, you can be confident of a good product at a fair price and good service to back it up.

I have purchased rifles, ammo, shooting accessories and a stock set from them...and continue to shop there as needed.

FH

Back