Looking for a fun rifle

Justin62882

Inactive
Hey guys, I've never had a need for a rifle as our state doesn't allow them to hunt except a couple species that I don't hunt and I haven't had a place to really shoot them until I became a member at a club with a 200 yard range and that is interest enough to get a rifle. I don't want anything too expensive to shoot and something I can shoot without alot of recoil like my 20 gauge and 12 gauge slugs that I can shoot quite a bit when I go. I was honestly in a debate between these 4. 223,243, 25-06, and 6.5 creedmoor. I want it in bolt action. Preferably wood stock but I'll it doesn't have to be. I will try to find the rifles you guys suggest and try to hold them before buying to see how they feel. I found a savage axis 6.5 creedmoor that does feel pretty good when pulling it up. I haven't shot any rifles other than a .22 and a .45-70 rifle pf my grandpas. Now that was fun shooting but it's a little more gun than what I'm wanting to just go shoot some paper lol. I'd like to keep it around 600 dollars or under. Thanks for any suggestions.

Might I strongly suggest a 17 hmr or possible a 223 rifle. Those others are fine, but more for hunting and or longer range.

A 22 will get you out to 200 yards, little to no recoil, and build up your skills cheaply.

Savage makes some excellent wood stocked target 22's.
CZ makes some nice ones also.

It sounds like a 223 is the best option for you. Although a 22 RF would be an option too. You CAN shoot a 22 out to 200 yards or even farther, but that is really pushing things. Most people shoot 22's at 50 yards or less. I shoot quite a bit at 100 and occasionally at 200+, but that is really challenging. I'm not sure I'd recommend that for a beginner.

223 ammo is the cheapest center fire round and shooting at 200 isn't that challenging. I buy Fiochhi 50 gr V-Max loads from Cabelas, $25/50 rounds, and it will shoot into 1-1.5" at 200 yards. Usually only a single ragged hole less than 1/2" at 100 yards.

A 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor would be better options for larger game. The 243 is a great deer round and the 6.5 Creedmoor is suitable for anything in North America. I would quickly rule out 25-06. The 6.5 beats it handily, ammo is a lot cheaper and easier to find. But it sounds like hunting isn't an option for you and unless you want to target shoot beyond 200 yards not needed. The 6.5 CM is capable as a target round at over a mile.

The Axis isn't a bad rifle. I just like the Ruger American better. The standard rifle runs about $350 and the Predator version about $400. The Predator has a medium weight target barrel and is usually more accurate. They originally came with a 4 round rotary magazine, but I'd hold out for one of the newer versions that takes AR magazines. You can get 5 and 10 round magazines that don't protrude far below the stock. No reason to use the 20 or 30 round magazines.

Thanks you guys. I should have mentioned I do own a ruger 1022. Sorry about that. I was meaning a centerfire rifle. I love that little rifle. It is my squirrel gun. just wanting something with some more zip. Two people have suggested .223s. I will look into them and the ruger American. Thanks alot

Another vote for .223.

I shoot a Mossberg MVP predator....Threaded barrel, AR mags and shoots 1 moa all day long if I do my part, and it comes in a very nice wood stock.

That is a good looking rifle. Do they make a magazine that is flush with the stock for that mossberg? And anyone have experience with the weatherby vanguard s2 models looks like around 500 dollars?

Check out a savage 12fv in 223. Great shooting rifle, can be had at cabelas for half your budget on 4th of july/black friday sales, shoots lights out and feels better than the ruger imho. And yeah, 223 sounds like just what the Doctor ordered.

Personally I like stuff not everyone has. The .223 is an old Chevy Chevette that anyone can own.
I would go with a .222, .221 Fireball, or .22-250. All 3 are more accurate than the .223 ime. CZ makes rifles in the first 2. You can get lots of different rifles in the .22-250. You can also pick up a good old Remmy 788 in .222.

Just a suggestion, I bought a Savage heavy barrel in .17 WSM, threw a Boyds stock on it with a decent Vortex. 200 yards is not problem, and 50 rounds is $15.

I would vote for the Weatherby S2 and having 3 of them they are real good shooters, I think the last one I bought with wood stock came from Bud's gun shop at around 600.00 , then of course you have to add a scope..

O/P you're the perfect .223 candidate. My son has the Savage 10 FP with the heavy varmint barrel in .223. The rifle has shown us it's capable of .3 MOA accuracy at 100 yds with handloads and the 52 gr SMK bullet. Only issue is the Savage model FP's come with a composite stock. Bought the rifle used with a nice 3-12x40 scope for $525.

Last edited:
I would also recommend the Savage in whatever configuration suits you. I have a 10 TAC (in .308) and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it or one of the similar rifles. If you are looking for something shootable right out of the box, look for something with an Accustock and Accutrigger (which means it probably won't be a wood stock,) in my opinion that's about as good as it gets with a reasonable budget and no tinkering. I'm not saying there aren't other rifles that would fit the bill, but I have no experience with them, and I don't like Rugers.

I have a very accurate Savage Model 12VLP - 12 Varmint Series, Accu-Trigger, heavy barrel, single shot, laminated stock in 223 - 1 in 9 twist. The single shot makes the stock an action more rigid for accuracy. I can get 1/4" m.o.a. @ 100 yards - 3 shot group, using 69 grain Sierra MatchKings HBBT, remanufactured Black Hills. Though Savage does not make the single shot anymore...GunsAmerica currently has a new one for sale at $800.

Last edited:
A 223 would probably work well for you. I've had several but no longer have one. I wanted something light I could maybe shoot predators with and if I decided to, sage rats. 223 will certainly handle that but I think the 243 is a bit better. Reason being bullet's. Should ask, are you a handloader? I am and if I was to get another 22 CF I would look for a 222 Rem. Had one years ago and it shot the pants off everything I had, including a 223. Drawback to the 222 Rem is first finding a rifle chambered for it and then maybe factory load's for it.

As for a rifle, lot of rifles out there but doesn't seem to me many with wood stock's any more. The only one's I pretty sure of is higher grade Rem 700's and Mossberg Patriot's. I have several 700's and love them all. Got one as a gift that had a plastic stock on it. One of the worst shooting rifle's I ever had.But took it apart and completely re-did the bedding and it shoot's great now, down around 1/2" with handload's, it's a 243. I also have a Partriot in 243 that needed nothing done with it and it hangs in around 1/2" also. If you really got serious about an accuracy rifle, I would not buy a factory rifle. I have never owned a Savage CF rifle but have shot a few of the old 110's. They were ugly and had horrible trigger's buy boy did they shoot! I would strongly consider a wood stock Savage. People seem to have nothing bad to say about them. Another is the Ruger American. Don't know if it can be had in a wood stock though. All I know about it is what other's say. Lot of people suggest it over any thing else! I think what you will find though is that each of them either shoot really well out of the box and hand loading can improve them and bedding can do even more.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will go soon and try to hold some of these rifles and check them over and see which one I think will fit me and suit me best. I will be getting a .223 like most of you have suggested. It sounds like the best for me just to have some fun with. If I was going to hunt with a rifle it would be a different story.

"...bolt action...Preferably wood stock...around 600 dollars or under..." The $600 might be an issue for a BNIB rifle.
A Savage Axis is an entry level hunting rifle. That what you're interested in? Or do you want something a bit higher end like any other Savage.
Cabela's has Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter package rifles(Nikon 3-9x40 scope included) on sale right now at $499.88. Synthetic stocks, but that's an easy, relatively inexpensive, upgrade, doable whenever you feel like it.

Since I don't rifle hunt and can't this would probably be a rifle I get and prolly won't be getting another one unless I move elsewhere. So id prolly want a step above entry level. I won't be competition shooting or shooting elk or deer with it just want an accurate solid little rifle that has the potential for good grouping after I figure out which ammo it likes the most. I'm really intrigued by the weatherby vanguard s2. What do you guys think of them?

223 or 6.5 Creedmore

Savage is a great choice and you can get them at Cabellas (12FV) for under 300 at times on deals. Yes it has a plastic stock.

You can get a Boyds (as was mentioned) either wood (I don't know what their pricing is) or a Laminated that looks good in a variety of colors (some that look like wood). Stable as Plastic or Fiberglas, as its a composite though most folks don't think so. Fit is close to perfect.

They have a Thumbhole and what I call super Grip (Prairie hunter maybe?) All of $125.

Back