Looking for a DEPENDABLE large caliber semi

CajunJedi

Inactive
I am going to the Dallas Arms Collectorrs Assoc. Gun and Knife show on Jan. 17.

I am looking for a reliable semi-auto in a .308 caliber or 30-06 that I can easily get at least a 30 round magazine for. What are my options?? I cannot spend more than $1000. Should I go with a 7.62 x 39 caliber?? I definately want a large capacity magazine, and a caliber that will shoot out to 500+ yards.

Thanks for any help that comes along.

CajunJedi,

The number of rifles with 30+ round magazines available for the M43 Bloc cartridge are very plentiful. However, getting any of these to reliably hit a man-sized target at a range of 500 yards would be a function of the number of rounds fired to generate sufficient bullet impact density (beaten zone) in order to have any marginally significant probabability of hits on the target.

Alternately, you may wish to consider a larger caliber (.308Win/7.62x51mm NATO comes to mind). Although such rifles can be fitted with 30-round magazines, the majority which l've experience with have 10 or 20-round mags readily available. Two semi-auto military-look-a-likes which immediately come to mind as having 30-round mags available are the FN-FAL series and the H&K91series.

If your intent is to "reach out and touch" your target at stand-off distances, then there are a plethora of excellent rifles available to meet that need, not all of which have available or need high capacity magazines to fulfill this role. The full-size rifles do not lend themselves readily to close quarters combat, due to their size, and weight.

If your intent is to get a close quarters battle rifle (carbine) with the capability to occasional reach-out, then you may wish to consider the large number of firearms in the .223Rem/5.56x45mm NATO caliber.

Bottom line, pick the right tool and accessories for the intended job(s).

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited 01-11-99).]

You might want to try a M1 Garand. I know they don't have a 30 or even 20 round mag, but they are a great rifle, and you can get them for cheaper than a M1A/M14 type, and they even can be found in .308, although they usually are .30-06. Get lots of en bloc clips (what you hold the 8 rounds of ammo in ) but they are usually pretty cheap.

Back